Legal way to build a sound-suppressing costume?

SteveZilla

I want to build a 'suit' that suppresses the sound of a character's punches and his running.

Would it be appropriate to use a Darkness Damage Shield (AoE Surface) build, or should it be done with two instances of Naked Advantage: Invisible Power Effects for each power (Running and STR)?

I would also like the 'suit' to stop the wearer from being located by sonar as well, if that changes the build method.

5 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

Silent running and punching would be Invisible Power Effects bought on the character's Running and STR. All three would be covered by Invisibility to the Hearing Sense Group.

I thought that Invisibility specifically did _not_ cover the SFX of active powers one is using (especially attack powers).  Which is why I thought about Darkness, which AFAIK would do that.

5 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Well since you want to be invisible to sonar,  I’m thinking Darkness to sound with just AOE surface should suit. However you may want to buy personal immunity so as to be able to speak and be heard.

I wasn't sure if Personal Immunity would be needed for a Darkness AoE Surface build, but did think it would not be needed for a Damage Shield - though I wasn't sure if a Damage Shield would have _any_ effect on the character, since that is the point of a Damage Shield - it affects others and not the user...

Also, would Darkness to Hearing Group not effectively make one undetectable by Sonar, similar to Invisibility to Hearing Group?

3 minutes ago, SteveZilla said:

I thought that Invisibility specifically did _not_ cover the SFX of active powers one is using (especially attack powers).  Which is why I thought about Darkness, which AFAIK would do that.

I think a lot of this falls under GM's discretion. It probably would cover Running and other Movement Powers. Invisibility to Hearing is a pretty common, "super stealth" build. Silent punching seems like a minor enough benefit in most campaigns. OTOH, if there is a lot of blind-fighting going on in the campaign, it might be worth paying for.

The 5th Edition Invisibility to the Sound Sense Group would make you invisible to Sonar.

The Power Advantage Invisible to Sound would work with any attack.  It would work best with an Energy Blast.  I'm not sure if you'd have to buy Invisibility for STR in addition to a Hand Attack for a physical attack.  

Invisible Power Effects (Hearing) for all Powers that are appropriate (since you get to choose which Senses a Power is visible to, some Powers may readily make themselves more appropriate to 3 Senses that don't include Sound - but this is mostly dictated by SFX as much as Game Balance, anything you don't by IPE:Hearing for, make sure your GM approves the other choices made).

Invisibility: Sonar (you wouldn't really need to buy the entire hearing group, especially if someone being clever tries to by 'Mental Sonar' or some other nonsense, buying vs Sonar specifically narrows the range but also covers all SFX of Sonar Perception).

would legally cover everything you put forth in the original request.

14 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Invisibility [Hearing], No Fringe, No END (+1/2)

30 Points

EB 8d6, Invisible [Hearing] (+1/4)

50 Points (33 Points with limitation "No Range")

I forgot to mention this is for a Martial Artist, which precludes me from utilize Blast, as I need to use STR for the Arts.