HERO System Mobile

sentry0

I added in a tab for notes for Hero Designer characters.  The notes section itself a catchall spot for user to use to keep track of campaign notes, equipment, or anything else they need to.  I gave it a 10k character size limit so you should be able to cram a lot of info in there if need be.

I also made it so when you import a character that already exists in your list of characters that current combat state (STUN, BODY, CVs, etc) and notes get copied over to the incoming character.  This means that if you ever delete a character from your list, all combat state and notes will go with them (as one should expect).  However, if you are just importing an updated version of your character the app will automatically transfer your notes and combat state over to the new version of your character.

Here's a screenshot of the notes section:

azpnlrc.png

I spent my time today working on loading multiple characters into the app, here's how it works:

• There are 5 slots in the app for characters
  • When loading a character you must select a slot to load them into
  • You can clear a character slot by long pressing it from a character viewer
  • You can also directly load a character into an existing slot

Here's a screenshot of the modified character load/import screen... note the line of text that reads "Load character into:" followed by a slot drop down.

7JeEUHk.png

Here is what the character viewers now look like.  Note the footer at the bottom of the viewer.

DV3stbQ.png

You can see by the footer that 2 of the 5 character slots have characters loaded into them.  It's pretty hard to see from the screenshot but the UI does highlight the currently selected character as well.

Pressing on an empty character slot will take you to the character load/import screen and pre-populate the drop down with the correct slot.

Long pressing on a loaded character (other than your currently selected character) will bring up the following confirmation dialog:

dEmqnxE.png

I'm still working on some little things but most of the work is done on this one.  You should be seeing this in the next build.

The 1.5.0 version of the app was pushed into review on the app Android/iOS app stores today.

Patch notes:

• Portraits now display when loading a  Hero Designer character
  • It is now possible to load up to 5 characters at once
  • All characters now have a "Notes" tab
  • Combat State and notes will be preserved if importing a new version of your character

They should be hitting your devices later today.

I've been working on supporting loading Fifth Edition characters directly from Hero Designer Files for the past couple of days.  I am going to release a build that I've been working on a bit earlier then I was intending because I found some nasty bugs that I want to see fixed sooner rather than later.  Although this is a minor point upgrade release (1.6.0) it's still considered to be under development with regards to fully supporting Fifth Edition characters and you should expect a few more patches in the next couple of days and/or weeks. 

Patch notes:

• Added in support for figured characteristics for Fifth Edition characters in the Hero Designer character viewer
  • The "Combat" tab of the Hero Designer character viewer now supports Fifth Edition characters
  • Fixed a rare bug that would prevent loading a character in the Hero Designer character viewer 
  • Fixed a bug with Forcefield/Damage Resistance inflating characteristic values

The patch will probably go live late tonight or early tomorrow.

Hi sentry0.  Thanks for an awesome tool!  Currently, the app crashes when I try to open a piece of Equipment built as a Compound Power.  Also requesting that Equipment displays "Quantity" and "Cost" (currency, not points).  Hard to keep track of Gold Pieces!

1 hour ago, C-Note said:

Hi sentry0.  Thanks for an awesome tool!  Currently, the app crashes when I try to open a piece of Equipment built as a Compound Power.  Also requesting that Equipment displays "Quantity" and "Cost" (currency, not points).  Hard to keep track of Gold Pieces!

I have tested equipment built as compound powers and it doesn't crash for me.  That was using a 6th edition character though, I'm not sure which edition you're using... it could make a difference right now. 

If it's not too much trouble could you either tell me how you built the power or send me the character so I can investigate.

I'll look into adding the quantity and cost Fields as well... it should be easy enough.

6 hours ago, sentry0 said:

I have tested equipment built as compound powers and it doesn't crash for me.  That was using a 6th edition character though, I'm not sure which edition you're using... it could make a difference right now. 

If it's not too much trouble could you either tell me how you built the power or send me the character so I can investigate.

I'll look into adding the quantity and cost Fields as well... it should be easy enough.

Sent hdc file.  6th Edition Heroic template.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, C-Note said:

Sent hdc file.  6th Edition Heroic template.  Thanks!

I imported your character and opened up all of the equipment on the "Equipment" tab without issue.

It's possible that it's a caching issue or file import issue, I would recommend you do the following:

• Remove the character from your loaded characters by long touching his slot icon (while another character is selected)
  • Go to the "Characters" screen and touch the "Import" button
  • Select your character again
  • Load him into a slot in the Hero Designer character viewer

23 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

I imported your character and opened up all of the equipment on the "Equipment" tab without issue.

It's possible that it's a caching issue or file import issue, I would recommend you do the following:

• Remove the character from your loaded characters by long touching his slot icon (while another character is selected)

Just tried all these steps including clearing cache and uninstalling/reinstalling app.  Same issue.  Android 8.1, Motorola Moto G4 Plus if that helps.

5 minutes ago, C-Note said:

Just tried all these steps including clearing cache and uninstalling/reinstalling app.  Same issue.  Android 8.1, Motorola Moto G4 Plus if that helps.

Can you tell me what version of the app you're running by going into (on your phone itself) Settings->App and notification find HSM, it should tell you the version under advanced.

1 minute ago, sentry0 said:

Can you tell me what version of the app you're running by going into (on your phone itself) Settings->App and notification find HSM, it should tell you the version under advanced.

1.6.0.  Most recent.  I make sure it is always updated.

3 minutes ago, C-Note said:

One other minor issue.  If you look at the hdc, you'll see I purchased Resistant PD and ED on the Primary Characteristics only (no Extra Resistant PD or ED), but the Resistant Defenses are not showing.

It's weird that the cost of the two powers is 0 as well... do they cost 0 in HD too?  Do they show up as part of your resistant defenses in HD on the characteristics screen?  I know if you buy them as a naked advantages it will work but it will cost you some fraction of the points for your PD/ED which seems fair to me.

I would check myself but I'm at work :) 

2 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

It's weird that the cost of the two powers is 0 as well... do they cost 0 in HD too?  Do they show up as part of your resistant defenses in HD on the characteristics screen?  I know if you buy them as a naked advantages it will work but it will cost you some fraction of the points for your PD/ED which seems fair to me.

I would check myself but I'm at work :) 

0 points of Resistant PD (applied to Primary Characteristic only) costs 3CP.  Same for Resistant ED as calculated in Hero Designer.  They show up in Resistant Defenses on the characteristics screen and in the PDF export.

Just now, C-Note said:

0 points of Resistant PD (applied to Primary Characteristic only) costs 3CP.  Same for Resistant ED as calculated in Hero Designer.  They show up in Resistant Defenses on the characteristics screen and in the PDF export.

Interesting, looks like I missed a source of resistant defense.  I think the point costs work out the same to buying a naked advantage so it would seem it is functionally equivalent.

I'll add it to my list of bugs :)  

7 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

Interesting, looks like I missed a source of resistant defense.  I think the point costs work out the same to buying a naked advantage so it would seem it is functionally equivalent.

I'll add it to my list of bugs :)  

If you open the HDC in Hero Designer, you will see that they are Characteristics purchased as Powers.  0 additional points of PD/ED purchased with Resistant (+1/2), checked box "Add Modifiers to Base Characteristic".  3 CP Real Cost each.

24 minutes ago, C-Note said:

1.6.0.  Most recent.  I make sure it is always updated.

One last thing to try:

• Delete your character by touching the trashcan
  • Verify he's really gone by going to HEROSystemMobile->characters on your local device filesystem

I created an on disk cache of characters recently to manage multiple characters, it's possible that you keep loading a stale version in.

6 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

One last thing to try:

• Delete your character by touching the trashcan
  • Verify he's really gone by going to HEROSystemMobile->characters on your local device filesystem

I created an on disk cache of characters recently to manage multiple characters, it's possible that you keep loading a stale version in.

Thanks, but this was the first time loading this character.  I've been loading the hdc from my Documents folder.  Should I place it in HEROSystemMobile->characters and load it from there?

2 minutes ago, C-Note said:

Thanks, but this was the first time loading this character.

Can you go into HEROSystemMobile->characters and verify that it's empty or at least missing the character?  That folder will persist across app installs/uninstalls/updates.

It's really weird, it should work on phones going back to 4.4 or something like that according to the framework specs.

I'll look into it as much as I can on my side tonight, I can emulate an 8.1 device in Android Studio to see if I can reproduce it.