Is someone in Seattle in need of a Doctor?

The Doctor

Hello again friends,  I have been off the boards other than the random trolling session for the last  .years.  During that time I have moved twice, gotten married and all but given up on my life long past-time.

Cut to today and I live north of Seattle and I may have just gotten over my last game group of almost a decade.  I still talk to some of my friends  from the group at random, but armed with the knowledge that I am not going to move back to Boise I have to seek new adventure with like minded people.  I am a GM looking for players.  I can join a group that already has a GM, but honestly I haven't had much experience over the last 30 years on the other side of the table.  I GM hero system predominantly: Danger International, Horror Hero Cyber Hero, Champions, Western Hero, Dark Champs and many of the other variants.  I am interested in starting a group and hopefully  growing it to 5 players  that would rotate in as Gm.  

My GM preference is to work on the bones of a campaign for 1 to 3 months after get a basic player personality profile for each participant and my game ranges from 5 years to 6 months other than the random one shot or mini-series.   I have been known to use pictures music and sound effects to help support the overall theme. 

I realize that the Seattle area has had many of these threads that I went back and perused, but to my knowledge they were all archived.

Thank you and 

Keep rolling....

Champions Comic Cover 159.jpg

Proximity Effect.jpg

I am very interested in starting a new group around the HERO system. I'm interested in 6e. I have also GM'ed for 35+ years, so rotating duties would be superb! I live in Renton (East Highlands).

Do you have a preference for location?

I'm allergic to cats, so my options tend to be limited. I have a nice little area on my 2nd floor, but it can get warm in the summer. I would prefer a SAT game day, and I usually like to have more than 4 hours (maybe 6?).

I have recently been playing some GURPS 4e, but I'm burned out on it. I like crunch, just want it in different areas. :-D  I played and GM'ed a bunch of 5ER back in the day, but my HERO-fu has atrophied a tad. I have a pile of 6e books on digits, all the software, and a handful of print books. So, I am ramping back up quickly...

• 3 weeks later...

As a member of Doc's Boise group (actually, I was the organizer of said group) I would like to vouch for the quality of the game, no make that campaign, that he will provide for his players. The time I had playing in his games was the best gaming I've ever done. So good that I can even forgive him for the whole space/sci-fi/Dr. Who thing that he pulled on us. :nya:

The Doctor does more than write a story and shoe-horn your PCs into it. He'll build the world setting around your PCs. They'll actually belong in the game. He also studies you, the player. He's a student of the Allston Method, and will figure out what type of player(s) your are and work to make sure that you get out of the game what you're looking for.

The Doctor is such a great GM that I still haven't gotten over his relocating. If it wasn't so bleepin' far between here and Seattle, I'd drive there once a week to be in his games again.

So if you want a quality HERO game (especially supers) grab a seat at Doc's table. You absolutely will never regret it.

(@TD: I miss you, man. Good luck with the new group. Oh, and save SIl or Forrester a guest spot for when I get up there to visit.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Are you still looking for members? I will be moving to the area from the east coast in Summer 19 and need to find a new group. I have over 30 years of gaming experience and have GM’d several systems, but only played Hero. Rotating GMs is fine with me, and I was part of a GURPS group for several years that did the same when I lived in LA. 

I will be putting together a new group to meet in the Renton East Highlands area soon. I'm looking at GMing some Savage Worlds. Open to playing other systems. I'll PM you my contact info. Not sure if the Doctor found a group yet... I decided that Hero was a little more crunch than I want to deal with so I'm focusing on SWADE for now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 4:40 PM, Trechriron10 said:

I will be putting together a new group to meet in the Renton East Highlands area soon. I'm looking at GMing some Savage Worlds. Open to playing other systems. I'll PM you my contact info. Not sure if the Doctor found a group yet... I decided that Hero was a little more crunch than I want to deal with so I'm focusing on SWADE for now.

If you are still putting together a group, let me know. I am in south Seattle, and would like to find something. Very interested in Hero, must less so in Savage Worlds, but do have a ton of other games I like. If interested we should meet and see what we can do.

• 2 months later...

It might help a bit if everyone listed where they were and what their preferred version of Hero is.

I live north of Seattle in Marysville.  My favorite genres are Champions and Pulp Hero and I prefer 5th Edition Revised though I have and can play 6th Edition. 

I'm moving to the area in late July.  I'll be around Ft Lewis.  I'm willing to drive for a good game, doable on a weekend, but Marysville would be too far for me.

I'm most familiar with 6e.  I prefer cyberpunk, post-apocalypse, (low) fantasy, or hardish-SciFi settings.

There are several great game stores down there. The Game Matrix in Lakewood and Gabby's Olympic Cards & Comics in Lacey.

I used to live down south, and there are TONS of games. If you want to find something closer by, it shouldn't be hard.

I would start a new thread "Looking for HERO 6e in Ft. Lewis / Tacoma / Lakewood / Lacey". Also, Reddit's /r/lfg would be good too.

The group I want to form would be at Metro Seattle Gamers in Seattle. Not sure about the drive from Marysville, but certainly closer than Ft. Lewis.

I'm suggesting jlc3721 look in the southend, because if he's stationed on Ft. Lewis, burning 60 - 75 minutes driving to a game can get old real quick. I have a ton of friends in the Tacoma area and I used to game with them, but the drive sucks.

12 minutes ago, Trechriron10 said:

The group I want to form would be at Metro Seattle Gamers in Seattle. Not sure about the drive from Marysville, but certainly closer than Ft. Lewis.

Oh, I got that.  It's just that Seattle is a real mess of a drive from up here that can easily be 90 minutes depending on getting past Everett.

17 hours ago, Trechriron10 said:

There are several great game stores down there. The Game Matrix in Lakewood and Gabby's Olympic Cards & Comics in Lacey.

I used to live down south, and there are TONS of games. If you want to find something closer by, it shouldn't be hard.

I would start a new thread "Looking for HERO 6e in Ft. Lewis / Tacoma / Lakewood / Lacey". Also, Reddit's /r/lfg would be good too.

Thanks for the advice!  I've been on rpg.net, pen&paper, r/lfg, meetup, and haven't found anything yet.  I've found tons of games, but no Hero yet.  I've moved so damn often that I'm always compromising on system to just be able to play something.  This is my last move so I'm really trying to put in the time and effort to find a good group playing what I want to play.  I'm not stuck on just Hero, but I want it to be one of the games at the table.

Does your old group down Tacoma way have any open slots or be willing to give a new person a try?

They are an exclusively D&D 5e group and not super open to new people (old friends, kids, special needs child in the mix).

However, If you want to join us up north we could make it a tad easier for you. You could meet me in Renton (opposite of Sea Tac) and we can carpool over to Seattle. I have a guest room, so if you didn't want to travel home on a  FRI for whatever reason, you could crash at my place and embark in the AM.  😄

OOC, Are you military? Retiring or is this your final assignment?