The Academics Thread

Pariah

50 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Maybe I can make students understand electric potential by HOOKING THEIR GONADS UP TO 50000 VOLTS AND LETTING THEM HAVE IT WHEN THEY GUESS WRONG.

Grumble.

Would any of them survive till the end of the class period?

17 hours ago, Cancer said:

Maybe I can make students understand electric potential by HOOKING THEIR GONADS UP TO 50000 VOLTS AND LETTING THEM HAVE IT WHEN THEY GUESS WRONG.

Grumble.

I have to say, I get a real charge out of this thought. I'm sure you're going to encounter some resistance, however.

I had to look up what that is.  Those guys give a lot of tests.  I glanced at their numbers for median, range, etc.  For some subjects the tests must be really hard, since on some lines all the entries are f.  I assume that means everyone who took it failed.

(It's actually just their footnote indicating "new test, no stats available yet" ... but I like my guess better.)

Comparing Monday's exam to the first exam (not quite a month back):

• Class average up by 6.6.
  • 6 people did at least 11 points worse.
  • 2 people did 5 to 10 points worse.
  • 10 people were within 4 points (either way) of the same score.
  • 3 people did 5 to 10 points better.
  • 3 people did 11 to 14 points better.
  • 5 people did 15 to 19 points better.
  • 2 people did 25 to 30 points better.  (no one in the low 20's better)
  • 3 people did better by 31 or more.

Unfortunately, there were 35 points more possible on this exam than the first.

BTW, some free simulations for electromagnetism are at https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/physics/electricity-magnets-and-circuits  Some are Java; some are HTML5.  "Electric Field Hockey" (one of the Java ones) is actually a hoot to play, if you have a box that will permit you to run Java.  (My institution has stuff screwed down so tight I can't run it at my work desktop.)

That site has sims for a lot of topics, but I've only looked at the E&M ones.

Well, in terms of connection to anything that really matters, "academic" fits in rather well here in the NGD.  So there's no reason to be alienated.

Unless you're gonna go all deconstructionism on us.  Then we'll have to send the undead ninja deathray assassin hookers after you.  I can't stand deconstructionism.

31 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Then we'll have to send the undead ninja deathray assassin hookers after you.

Is it full-time ninja while moonlighting as prostitutes with assassination as the hobby?

I'm just curious how they organize their day. :)

23 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

"Ninja" and "assassin" are rather redundant, no?

In principle yes, but as our deconstructionist tribble (he needs to change his user handle to that, BTW) would point out, "ninja" in the vernacular has drifted a little from its original meaning, so reinforcing the assassin bit isn't entirely gratuitous.