The Academics Thread

Pariah

Yeah, one class member remarked in her best Monty Python voice, "Do you mean to suggest that Jupiter migrates?"

* cue coconut sounds

Our professor admitted to some skepticism on the matter herself, but hastened to add that she doesn't really have a better explanation.

The answer should have been: has migrated.  Ditto the other giant planets.  I've got the first few papers on the machine at the office, but not at home.  The discussion in Wikipedia of the "Nice model" does a decent job of conveying results, though not techniques and initial motivations, for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the last day of Astronomy. I'm one exam away from claiming an A in the class.

Geology...is going to take a little more work. I still have two field days, including one where three of my fellow students and I are leading a guided tour of Millcreek Canyon. The hikes are fun, but my ankles don't like them very much.

Wish me luck!