The Academics Thread

Pariah

This year's teaching assignment:

2 sections of Honors Chemistry

5 sections of Chemistry for Dummies*

Next year's teaching assignment:

1 section of Honors Chemistry

4 sections of Honors Physics

1 section of ACT Prep (fall semester only)

1 section of Astronomy (fall semester), 2 sections of Astronomy (spring semester)

I've got some prep work to do this summer!

--

* I can't actually call it that, of course, but that's what it is. :stupid:

1. It's posted on the front board.
2. It's posted on the side board.
3. It was on the projector at the beginning of class.
4. It's in the instructions on the test itself.
5. I announced it at the beginning of class.
6. I talked to you individually about it during the test.

If you don't understand that you can't have your phone out during the test, it's not because you weren't informed.

Don't get mad at me. Pay attention, and make better decisions.

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

The middle school here has a zero tolerance policy for cell phones.  Use one on campus and it gets confiscated until the end of the year.

I'm down with this.

That would be delightful. Sadly, the parents here would never go for that. They can't spend $800 on an iPhone for the kid and not have them be able to use it, now can they?

• 2 weeks later...
On April 23, 2018 at 9:15 PM, Pariah said:

Next year's teaching assignment:

4 sections of Honors Physics

1 section of Astronomy (fall semester), 2 sections of Astronomy (spring semester)

I've got some prep work to do this summer!

Lemme know if there's more stuff I can send you.

Though for grins, google up the JPL Small Body browser and type a few six-digit integers into its search field, and look at orbit diagrams.  Have your students do that  (one of their choice, one assigned by you).  Be ready to explain what the orbital elements are, though, which will be hard to get across; getting students to think in three dimensions is very hard, since it's probably never been required of them before.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Lemme know if there's more stuff I can send you.

Though for grins, google up the JPL Small Body browser and type a few six-digit integers into its search field, and look at orbit diagrams.  Have your students do that  (one of their choice, one assigned by you).  Be ready to explain what the orbital elements are, though, which will be hard to get across; getting students to think in three dimensions is very hard, since it's probably never been required of them before.

Thank you, and welcome back.

Wellll.......

I actually try that a lot.  I tend often eat a PBJ sandwich as a snack at night.  And since I prefer using a knife for the PB part,  and I don't want to use 2 utensils.   

Isnt too bad with new jelly bottles, but when it starts getting to the bottom, it is an exercise in madness. And then....(if mother is still awake)

*clang clang clang*   Why don't you just use a spoon?  

FINALLY got my score back on my Quantum Mechanics & Relativity final exam (that was due May 1st). I did okay, not great. Overall, I ended up with 81.69%, which is a B- before the professor's promised curve.

For a graduate level Physics class, I'll take it.