The Academics Thread

Pariah

One of the realities of academia is that every committee and administrative group panics when late May (a month before the end of the quarter-based academic year) hits, and a feeding frenzy develops on everyone's calendar looking for meeting times.

Yeeeesh.

Another day, another school shooting. This time in Texas. 10 dead, including two teachers.

There are days when I wonder if my death is the next one you will all be lamenting here on the boards.

In reviewing the scores for the take-home final exam, I see that you achieved a perfect score (50/50) in a single attempt. Canvas tells me that your attempt took less than 15 minutes. Considering that it took me longer than that when I took the test (and I wrote it!), I am left to conclude that you received assistance from someone on the test. This was specifically prohibited in the test instructions, where you were informed that doing so was punishable by a score of zero out of fifty. 

However, I am willing to acknowledge that it is at least theoretically possible that you achieved a perfect score in so short a period of time by doing your own work. So I'm willing to give you a chance to verify that this is the case. 

Please come to my classroom after school on Wednesday May 23rd at 2:15 p.m. You will be given the opportunity to retake the take-home final exam where I can watch you do it. You will be given 30 minutes to complete the test. This is more than twice as long as it took you to do it on your first attempt, so completing it in this amount of time shouldn't be a problem for you.

If you can achieve a score of at least 40 on Wednesday, I will allow you to keep your score of 50 out of 50. If not, I will consider it proof that you cheated the first time, and you will get a zero as specified in the test instructions. 

This is the only time you will be allowed to retake the test. If you do not show up at this time, I will assume that you do not wish to dispute my conclusion, and will assign you a grade of zero as stated above. 

Please contact me if you require further explanation or clarification. Otherwise, I'll see you Wednesday after school. 

Regards, 

Mr. P

36 minutes ago, Pariah said:

In reviewing the scores for the take-home final exam, I see that you achieved a perfect score (50/50) in a single attempt. Canvas tells me that your attempt took less than 15 minutes.

Who's Canvas and how does he know how long anyone took on a test?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says Canvas is good at propelling sailboats but that doesn't seem relevant....

1 hour ago, Lucius said:

The palindromedary says Canvas is good at propelling sailboats but that doesn't seem relevant....

It is relevant inasmuch as the students in question seem to be using sailboat fuel for brains.

1.  Kurt Gödel's incompleteness theorem indicates that there must exist some formally undecidable propositions, that is, there exist true statements that cannot be proven true, and false statements that cannot be proven false.  Malaclypse the Younger in Principia Discordia wrote that all things are true, even false things, but he was not to blame for this.  Does the latter necessarily follow from the former?

1. Yes, provably
  2. No, provably
  3. Yes, but not provably
  4. No, but not provably
  5. The proposition is tautological.
  6. Can I go get a beer now?

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

1.  Kurt Gödel's incompleteness theorem indicates that there must exist some formally undecidable propositions, that is, there exist true statements that cannot be proven true, and false statements that cannot be proven false.  Malaclypse the Younger in Principia Discordia wrote that all things are true, even false things, but he was not to blame for this.  Does the latter necessarily follow from the former?

1. Yes, provably
  2. No, provably
  3. Yes, but not provably
  4. No, but not provably
  5. The proposition is tautological.
  6. Can I go get a beer now?

#6, because is the only choice I remotely understand