The Academics Thread

Pariah

2 hours ago, archer said:

I had an accounting teacher lo these many decades ago who told me one thing that's stuck with me.

He said that if you were the "numbers guy" that you needed to be able to do addition/subtraction in your head plus at least simple multiplication. It'd bewilder all the people who can't do such things and build your credibility in the workplace while dragging out a calculator makes others think "Why are we asking THIS guy? I could pull out a calculator and do it myself."

And if you weren't the "numbers guy" you still needed to be able to do addition/subtraction in your head because building your rep as a smart person is a really good thing and makes others more prone to listening to you.

Like any Hero player, I can work some fractions and percentages in my head. When I display this ability in public, people are either really impressed, or look at me like I just grew two heads. Or both. 

What this apparent superpower has not done, so far, is attract girls.

6 hours ago, Bazza said:

15 x 15 to 95 x 95.  Take the digit in the "tens" column, add 1, then multiply the result eg for 15 x15, 1x2 = 2) then "add" 25. So for 15x15, it is 225. For 25x25, it is (2x3=6) 625. for 75x75, (7x8=56) so 5625. 

Ack! You're a voodoo priest!

Begone foul spirit lest I rattle my cloves of garlic at thee!

Allow me to introduce you to the wonders and magnificent power of doing common logarithms and antilogarithms in your head to one place, purred a seductive voice out of the darkness.

Yes, I am a minion of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-----

Oh, and further update on the group work.  A week to go.  Only one team has not yet checked in.  I think I succeeded in isolating some of the hard cases together.

Oh, and for the record, when any particle theoretician tries to talk to you about axions, talk to him right back about the Invisible Pink Unicorn, because the two are on the experimental and observational footing, and say that to him in exactly those words.

Axiom ≠ axion.  I understand and respect axioms and their role.  Axions, by contrast, recall to mind a cartoon that I think was once in the New Yorker, albeit about a different trendy physics theory thing.  It was of someone walking past a bookstore, and the sign in the story window said, "Tonight's Talk: Is string theory bull---t?"

---

On a different note...

Rats.  Just heard from Bad Karma Team 1.  Got my hopes up too soon.

---

Oh, and finally my dean's office has admitted that Chegg is for cheaters and that it is a problem, and reminds us of the proper procedure for dealing with such stuff.

Could be it was among the 397 memos that came in, of which about 5% have anything of importance in them.  Most memos come from functionaries eager to remind you that They Exist and They Are Important.  Most of these are less than one page (so the back side is empty) and so are useful as scratch paper.

Estimating conductive heat losses from the feet due to standing on cold ground in boots is complicated by the fact that the extremities are not at the usual body core temperature. Happily I found a reference so I can cobble together this new HW problem.  <snowfall emoji>

On 4/25/2021 at 12:50 PM, Old Man said:

spacer.png

Dear April,

I remember you well.

Your production assistant is supposed to collect your phone, calculators, and any personal equipment shortly before filming starts. This should have all been explained to you in an email when you were accepted onto the cast.

Maybe you should check your spam folder.