The Academics Thread

Pariah

G'day April. 

You are correct that you that is not all there is and there is indeed more. 

Read John Wild's Introduction to Realistic Philosophy to discover just how much 'more' you are missing out on. 

Cordially, 

A Realist. 

21 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Yet, the image still persists that science and religion are at war/don’t mix. 

Not just an image in some places. I know of a church (not Catholic) that preached religion vs. science. The fliers posted stated as much.

Well their loss. Really. Science itself is really just a methodology, with the proviso that @Pariah & @Cancer correct me. The results gained from science speak for itself eg biological evidence of the cell, the gene, DNA and so many more. The assumptions* that underpin science however are fair game, as that forms the part in the ‘history of ideas’. 

*eg Cartesianism, positivism, empiricism, to name a few. I do believe it is possible to keep science but modify its foundations (ie paradigm). The ancient Egyptians practiced a qualitative science. Goethe wrote about qualitative science. Walter Russell conceived of science in a new way that left a positive impression on Nikola Tesla (who told him to ‘bury’ it as it was too advanced). In time, I want to investigate all of these. 

ps: just started reading a short book on John Duns Scotus which the blurb in the back “trace to him the beginnings of modern political science” (slight paraphrase). 

Well, an address by John Paul II in 1996 was a big step in reducing some of the classical tensions between science and organized religion.  I admit I was largely unaware of it when it came out.  Being at a Jesuit institution has allowed me to observe things on the liberal edge of the Catholic Church, but I am largely ignorant of the more conservative elements except when those oblige the university's leadership to say things that seem anomalous compared to other statements they've previously made.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:02 AM, Cancer said:

Well, an address by John Paul II in 1996 was a big step in reducing some of the classical tensions between science and organized religion.  I admit I was largely unaware of it when it came out.  Being at a Jesuit institution has allowed me to observe things on the liberal edge of the Catholic Church, but I am largely ignorant of the more conservative elements except when those oblige the university's leadership to say things that seem anomalous compared to other statements they've previously made.

The Latter-day Saints don't have anything quite like this, but we did have Dr. Henry Eyring, one of the foremost theoretical chemists of the 20th century. He was close friends with many in the Church hierarchy in Salt Lake City and served as something of an unofficial science advisor thereto. My mother-in-law went to church with him and his family when she was growing up. (One of his sons, Henry B. Eyring, is a member of the Church's First Presidency today. One of his other sons, Ted Eyring, was my Thermodynamics professor as an undergraduate.)

I'm writing a rubric for a research paper. Would it be inappropriate to include, as a rating for Mechanics (e.g., spelling, punctuation, etc.) the descriptor "Paper looks like it was typed by a chimpanzee who'd had two or three espressos."?