The Academics Thread

Pariah

Professional development seminars are an obvious outgrowth of the core idea of modern management.  Managers don't know a damned thing, but they ahve been told they have to pretend to care for their underlings ... but they don't know how.  But they do have a budget, and PD seminars are marketed to managers as being ways to manifest a fictitious sense of caring about the next tier down by providing swill purported to help them get into the next tier.

Kill all the managers, and you'll never have to sit through another PD event.  And there are other benefits, too.

9 hours ago, Cancer said:

Professional development seminars are an obvious outgrowth of the core idea of modern management.  Managers don't know a damned thing, but they ahve been told they have to pretend to care for their underlings ... but they don't know how.  But they do have a budget, and PD seminars are marketed to managers as being ways to manifest a fictitious sense of caring about the next tier down by providing swill purported to help them get into the next tier.

Kill all the managers, and you'll never have to sit through another PD event.  And there are other benefits, too.

Many years ago, when I still worked in retail, our store manager came back from a development meeting with a bunch of cheerleading concepts that he attempted to share at a morning huddle. He talked about finding our North Star, and said that we should set our goals to reaching it. He then made the mistake of asking us what we thought that meant (you know, for "buy-in"). I casually answered, "You should set an unattainable goal, so that you'll always be chasing it." 

"Yes!" he shouted, before it sunk in, then he shouted, "no!"

He then changed his metaphor to climbing a mountain towards our North Star goal, and asked us what we thought that meant. I answered, "You should always climb higher, until you fall off the other side of the mountain, like in that 'Price Is Right' game."

"Yes!" Then, after a pause, "no." He looked confused and decided to break up the huddle at that time.

And we never heard about the North Star again from him.

That must have been back in the worst of the management by buzzword days.  At some point when I was working for the insurance company the buzzword was "Line of sight!".  My immediate manager was not into that, but the next two tiers above him were. 

After three repetitions of that line-of-sight thing, I muttered a sneered "Indirect fire" in response and a couple of people heard me.  It took a few more reps before I grumbled, "Did Marshal Pétain teach you nothing?!?" 

Getting laid off at the end of CY2003 meant I no longer had the buzzworders over me.  I hope the howitzers of the 11th Marines took them all out.

We were discussing space exploration in my astronomy class today, and the subject of William Shatner going into space came up. My students pretty much all knew who he was, but they were quite surprised to learn that he was 90 years old.

One of my students asked, "How long is he going to be up there?"

I responded, "Maybe for the rest of his life...."

In a spasm of raw, malicious aggression, I left the blackboard unerased when I left my Math Meth class about noon, when I had the general expressions for divergence, laplacian, and curl in a curvilinear coordinate system written up there.  In my defense, I had a meeting to get to.

The poor liberal arts class that was in that room after me won't be far wrong if they think it's all bits of stuff out of the untranslated Necronomicron.  (You can see those equations scattered across several places in, e.g., here.)