The Academics Thread

Pariah

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

VRO has been doing lots of outreach and education stuff.

Yes. I attended a weeklong workshop in 2020 during the lockdown. It was titled Coloring the Universe and was mainly about how to correctly apply false color to the images from Hubble et al.

I haven't taught since May 2021, so I haven't attended any workshops to date. This upcoming one, about the Solar System, will be my first one in over two years.

16 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Yes. I attended a weeklong workshop in 2020 during the lockdown. It was titled Coloring the Universe and was mainly about how to correctly apply false color to the images from Hubble et al.

I did that one too! I really enjoyed it. My astronomy students get really excited when I tell them about what the Vera Rubin Observatory is going to be when it opens. (Or maybe they just get excited seeing how excited I get about it.)

10 hours ago, Bazza said:

I've had conversation #2.

#3 comes too late for me.

#17 is brilliant, and it has me thinking.

#19 is 100% Gospel truth.

#21 applies even more to high schoolers. (Side note: Axe body spray is not an acceptable substitute for a shower.)

#24 A teacher i used to work with would tell her students, "If you're bored when you're writing, it's because you're being boring."

10 hours ago, Bazza said:

Good thing I don't use any of those questions when I give interviews.  (I have my own suite of nasties.)  Except the one at the end ("Any questions for me?"), and there all I do is answer the candidate's question as well as I can.

I got a nasty e-mail from a parent today for including an "inappropriate image" in a student's homework assignment. The assignment involved the activities of the superheroine Thunderbird (pictured below) and her run-ins with a couple of supervillains.

I asked her what she found objectionable, and she replied that "she barely has anything on on [sic] top". I pointed out that Thunderbird is covered to the top of her face, and that her maroon costume is clearly a different color than the brown skin around her mouth. I said I was sorry for any confusion and meant nothing offensive.

I haven't heard back from her yet. I fully expect I'm going to be invited to my Principal's office to explain all of this. 

Spoilered for "inappropriate image":

Spoiler

309629122_10162331690582178_499282331175

So, how's your day going?

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I got a nasty e-mail from a parent today for including an "inappropriate image" in a student's homework assignment.

That stinks, sorry you have to deal with that. Reminds me of the time a mother pulled a kid from the show I was doing because she thought it was satanic. When they saw the show they had to admit they were wrong, but it was too late. The student had missed out on the semester show for nothing. 

Can anyone help a poor Australian out with a request for a book about a particular topic in US History. I'm wanting to find/confirm information about a meeting between the British Embassy and US State Department  that took place 17 Feb 1947. The result of this is that the British informed the US that it was pulling out of Greece & Turkey and suggested/implied the Americans under Truman step in. This particular meeting I believe is the origin point for the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan.

The particular book I'm looking for is titled "The Marshall Plan and the Truman Doctrine" authored by George Capaccio, and published in 2017 by Cavendish Square Publishing. Reading age is 12-17 (so high school level). I'm looking specifically for page 33. If anyone does find the book, could you photograph that page and share it. Thanks.