The Academics Thread

Pariah

On 11/5/2022 at 8:56 AM, Bazza said:

As a realist, that would be true to a degree. Existence is real & actual. Not thinking reveals the true objectivity of self. 

To a subjectivist, not-thinking is the extinguishing of self-identity to nothingness, and non-existence, aka nihilism. 

After posting this now understand how two time periods (to us) happen simultaneously thus history (to us) is concurrent. This puts our perception of time in doubt. 

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

First of all, cheers. Second of all, what it if the simultaneity is not quantifiable? 

Events that appear as simultaneous for one observer appear separated in time in a different frame of reference. It's a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

From the track, "Temporalia", by Alan Parsons, from the album, The Time Machine:

When you look into a night sky, you see the stars far away. You're seeing them because of the light which travels from them to you. Now it takes time for light to travel here, so what you're doing is seeing the stars as they were in the past. The amount of time it has taken for the light to reach us. And the further and further away those stars are, the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody on that star looking at us. They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? So space and time are linked together, as we are looking across space, we are looking back in time

5 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Events that appear as simultaneous for one observer appear separated in time in a different frame of reference. It's a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

From the track, "Temporalia", by Alan Parsons, from the album, The Time Machine:

From the track, "Temporalia", by Alan Parsons, from the album, The Time Machine: "Which of those two is now?"

A: From an objective point of view: Both of them concurrently. Yes, even allowing that light takes 6000 years to reach us. From a subjective point of view: 6000 years. The former resolves both time and space into a timeless “no-space” “singularity”; while the later is subject to the scientific laws of nature. 

Cheers Ternaugh and cheers again to Cancer. Both of your posts are useful and the issues you raise I will have to account for.  My contemplation is that electrons may be the link to connect with our parallel selves and trying to work through the metaphysical logic that enables this. (I may need to look at metalogic, assuming I ordered that book?)

The issue for me now is to try to explain and resolve how two timelines can occur simultaneously. The answer to this will have to involve both our objective consciousness (not thinking, being) and subjective consciousness (thinking, becoming). Resolving this will likely need to be achieved with a singularity (zero-point). 

(so IRL super-mage/mystic )

On 11/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, Ternaugh said:

i have a better understanding of what you (and Cancer) are saying, thanks to this video;

Every now and then, when I hear (or read the writing of) colleagues over in liberal arts departments use the phrase "holistic understanding", I have this nigh-on uncontrollable urge to stage whisper to the person sitting next to me, "That's the code phrase that means they don't wanna do math."