The Academics Thread

Pariah

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled of a very effective PRE Attack at school yesterday. I was in one of the student computer labs during lunch (because my room was being painted) and I started hearing music (if you could call it that). Really loud music. Loud enough that I was sure everyone on the third floor could hear it. And then I heard a conversation. One of my fellow teachers was telling the kid to turn down the music or put on headphones. He was giving her attitude and refusing to turn his phone down.

So I left the computer lab and walked across the atrium to where I saw this kid lying on the ground with his head in his girlfriend’s lap, barely bothering to look up at the teacher who was insisting that he follow the rules of the school and of common courtesy. So I walked up and stood next to him.

”I’m going to make this really easy for you,” I stated. “You can turn the music off, or you can put in headphones, or I will confiscate your phone. Pick one.”

He couldn’t put the phone away fast enough.

I guess there are occasional advantages to being 6’3” and ~300 pounds.

Had the fifth grader’s parent teacher conference yesterday. I inquired as to the class’ math performance, since there were earlier indications that the entire class was struggling. Apparently a new curriculum has been instituted that no one likes, especially not the teachers. Here we go again. 

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

Had the fifth grader’s parent teacher conference yesterday. I inquired as to the class’ math performance, since there were earlier indications that the entire class was struggling. Apparently a new curriculum has been instituted that no one likes, especially not the teachers. Here we go again. 

Armed intervention is probably the least disruptive alternative.  Going to the appropriate admin building and pumping Putin Air Freshener into the environmental system is attractive, but too few people are trained well enough to do it safely and correctly, and if there's an oops with that stuff then it gets labeled terrorism instead of being recognized as the appropriate clinical treatment, which is minimally invasive surgical removal of advanced faeco-cerebro surrogacy that has necrotized.

Pah.  They *say* say have that stuff, but they're education administrators.  Remember: Those who can't do, teach;  Those who can't even teach, administrate; Those who can't administrate work in the state capital.  They could have all the weapon stuff they claim they do, but they aren't even technically proficient enough to be able to use their desktop machine as a masturbatory aid.  They make Elmer Fudd look like Stephen Segal, and Ted Logan look like Richard Feynman.  Even Florida Man is more competent than they are.  Just bring enough bullets.

53 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I can roll my eyes and live with Common Core. If I spot a creationist or climate denier, though, that is when I will unsheathe my sword. Metaphorically speaking. I think. 

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with a creationist or climate denier teacher.  As long as they don't teach science.

I'd prefer teachers keep their own agendas out of their teaching, though.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Pah.  They *say* say have that stuff, but they're education administrators.  Remember: Those who can't do, teach;  Those who can't even teach, administrate; Those who can't administrate work in the state capital.  They could have all the weapon stuff they claim they do, but they aren't even technically proficient enough to be able to use their desktop machine as a masturbatory aid.  They make Elmer Fudd look like Stephen Segal, and Ted Logan look like Richard Feynman.  Even Florida Man is more competent than they are.  Just bring enough bullets.

I would have rather you not have given me, the image of a desktop being used that way.  Though, you probably gave Florida Man an idea on how to spend his time next Friday.

Also

…..and those who cant get work in the state capital, get elected to the state capital.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

I can roll my eyes and live with Common Core. If I spot a creationist or climate denier, though, that is when I will unsheathe my sword. Metaphorically speaking. I think. 

I will say from what I have seen of Common Core handling of math.  If I went to school now, my A's in math would get turned to Fs in short order.  I was great in math (until the evils of Algebra).  But, when teaching me math, I did best when shown the concept of it (add, subtract, multiply, etc) and move out of the way.  The only trouble I had was briefly with carrying over in subtraction, but that was really for only 2-3 assignments.

But, Common Core seems bent on the attempt to confuse rather than illuminate.  Maybe he could be good for those who have already shown trouble in math, as a short-term solution.  But, I don't think it wise as a primary teaching tool.   There are those who are great at math, those that are awful, and those in-between.  And I think it does a disservice to the first and probably the last of those 3.

31 minutes ago, Badger said:

I would have rather you not have given me, the image of a desktop being used that way.  Though, you probably gave Florida Man an idea on how to spend his time next Friday.

Hey, they probably feed their egos because *their* thingie is too big to fit into the USB socket in the back.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with a creationist or climate denier teacher.  As long as they don't teach science.

I have a climate change denier and an anti-vaxxer in my department. They're both biology teachers.

:mad:

27 minutes ago, Badger said:

I see you saw fit that one image was not enough trauma.

24 minutes ago, Bazza said:

I got mine recently so it is USB-C & Thunderbolt! 

Badger, if I can imagine it, then it must already be happening.  Witness Bazza.