The Academics Thread

Pariah

That's because there is money to be made in curing disease, not preventing it.  Even now we're fighting a $300 hospital charge because a particular procedure was ordered as a treatment, not a screen.  It's the same g__d___ procedure either way; when is this country going to pull its head out of its ass when it comes to health care?

Never. As you said, there is money to be made. That is all the motive Big Pharma needs, plus put out propaganda against other treatments of health care. As an added bonus the AMA has moved away from human nature  (ie what is essential to define humanity). One has to wonder how long before the AMA moves away from biology. However eugenics _may_be permissible (see below). 

"eugenic development of offspring may never be justifiable." ~ AMA Code of Medical Ethics (https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/research-gene-therapy-genetic-engineering)

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

That's because there is money to be made in curing disease, not preventing it.  Even now we're fighting a $300 hospital charge because a particular procedure was ordered as a treatment, not a screen.  It's the same g__d___ procedure either way; when is this country going to pull its head out of its ass when it comes to health care?

Well, in my own experience and observation, the biggest problem with health care has always been hospitals frivolous overcharging and similar circumstances.  Be lucky it is ONLY that much, sadly.   (though, I cant deny Big Pharma probably plays a big part of it behind the scenes)

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, in my own experience and observation, the biggest problem with health care has always been hospitals frivolous overcharging and similar circumstances.  Be lucky it is ONLY that much, sadly.   (though, I cant deny Big Pharma probably plays a big part of it behind the scenes)

Some stuff has to be run as Infrastructure, not a Business.

Airports. Healthcare. Street Networks.

The sooner amerca get's over that "private is better" delusion, the better.

I got an absolutely heartbreaking email from the parents of one of my students today. She’s a good, happy kid who works hard and always has a smile on her face. Her parents asked me to move her seat in class because another kid, an arrogant, self-obsessed little sh*t who’s on the football team, has been bullying her.

I had this same know-nothing know-it-all last year, and he was a b*****d then, too.

Short term, I have to rearrange the seating chart. But I think I’m also going to pay his counselor a visit and see if I can get him transferred into another class. 

What I’d really like to do to solve the problem long term, I probably shouldn’t post publicly. :mad: 

Accomplished high school BS artists ("AHSBSA") are stunned when their AHSBSA content-free responses to college-level essay exam questions in a science course get zero out of twenty points.

In reference to my immediately preceding post, this means we replace the fear of lethal boredom with a much clearer, more acute, and less self-absorbed and self-congratulatory fear.

28 minutes ago, Bazza said:

toon-3242-1.gif

Actually I have forgotten I lot of my algebra formulations,  I could probably remember most with a 5-10 minute refresher, I think.

Note:  Though, given I use my Excel a lot on my computer, I probably aim doing semi-algebra stuff without thinking about it maybe.

I have to admit my first year of community college, I definitely did not do as well as I should.  After 4 years, of the prison system that was high school, and always have been at a certain place at a certain time.  When I got to college,  with actual freedom to roam, it was sometimes tempting to skip an occasional class, when there wasn't an immediate concrete consequence.  I did get better, by my 2nd year.  (I did skip 2-3 classes throughout that 3rd semester, but it was definitely a dramatic cutback, whereas my first semester, I pretty much went to a computer class only about 2 out of the 3 scheduled meeting a week, basically enough to keep up and not much else:()

42 year old Badger sometimes hates 18 year old Badger:(