The Academics Thread

Pariah

I just had parent-teacher conferences last week and I had a parent tell me that her daughter likes my class and me.  She said that I am "hip" because I like super heroes.

I had to stop the conference and say what a great world we live in now a days where super heroes make you "hip" in the eyes of a seventh grader.  I certainly remember a time where that would not have been the case.

39 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Next week is the final exam.  Gotta start putting that together.

Use perturbation theory to estimate the first-order change in the energy levels of the infinite square well if the well, rather than being square, is tilted by an amount  +/- delta E around its center.

I didn't make it down to the first floor for the actual event, but apparently we had about 100 students participate in the walkout/protest today.

About half of them, according to the administrator I talked to, actually had some idea why they were there.

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

I didn't make it down to the first floor for the actual event, but apparently we had about 100 students participate in the walkout/protest today.

About half of them, according to the administrator I talked to, actually had some idea why they were there.

Well, I did figure half minimum would be doing just to get out of class.  I haven't been out of high school THAT long.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, Cancer said:

In more fun stuff, I just watched the end-of-quarter demo presentation by two students doing acoustic levitation of tiny (but macroscopic) objects in their upper-division physics lab.

One step closer to a sonic screwdriver?

Lucius Alexander

Getting closer to a palindromedary

I think you could torque a nonspherical object with that set-up, but I expect you would need many orders of magnitude more power, and the volume of space where force is exerted is really small.  That last means that you'd have to have superhuman control over holding the "screwdriver" in space so you weren't e.g. applying torque to both "screw" and "nut" at the same time, and you have no sensory feedback to help you do that (you can't feel the screwdriver head slipping out of the slot, or whether bolt & nut are both rotating together in the hole, etc.).

It's much easier to see an engineering pathway to levitation coveyor belts in a manufacturing context, which still something, but not the legendary doctor's tool.

22 hours ago, Cancer said:

Finals Week.  My final is tomorrow afternoon.  So the frantic expenditure of red ink will begin in esrnest.

If you're a gorram science major (and not a freshman), then you gorram oughtta know the area of a circle is pi r squared.

((smite))  :mad: