The Academics Thread

Pariah

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

I missed two days of school (my birthday and my brother's birthday, as it turned out) my freshman year in high school due to a blizzard. It was legit; we had no electricity at our house for nearly a week. Our situation was worse than most. Some people in town were only without power for two or three days.

Did I mention that my birthday is in the middle of May?

Latest I remember snow, is first week of April (sometime in the mid-1990s). And it was in 1-2 inch range.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:05 PM, Badger said:

Latest I remember snow, is first week of April (sometime in the mid-1990s). And it was in 1-2 inch range.

I've also seen snow in Colorado on my youngest brother's birthday, which is in September. Hence the old joke about Colorado's four seasons being Winter, June, July, and August.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

I've also seen snow in Colorado on my youngest brother's birthday, which is in September. Hence the old joke about Colorado's four seasons being Winter, June, July, and August.

Yeah, in keeping up with baseball it seems the Colorado Rockies usually have at least  one snow out during the season

A 1750-kg truck traveling at 100.0 m/s threatens some nuns in a crosswalk. A superhero named Stupendous Man uses his super strength to slow the truck to 50.0 m/s which buys enough time for the nuns to get out of the road. His heroic effort takes 10.2 s, and the truck travels 765.31 m during that time.  

1. How much work does Stupendous Man do on the truck? 

2. How much force must Stupendous Man exert on the truck to slow it down?

3. What power does Stupendous Man produce in his effort?

"This isn't an English assignment, so I won't knock off points for missing semicolons and the like. But it's also not a tweet or a text message. It needs to include complete sentences; it needs to be something I can actually read; and it needs to address the question. Mainly, it needs to make sense. If you submit something that looks like the President sent it out at 2:30 in the morning, you probably won't get a very good grade."

33 minutes ago, Pariah said:

"This isn't an English assignment, so I won't knock off points for missing semicolons and the like. But it's also not a tweet or a text message. It needs to include complete sentences; it needs to be something I can actually read; and it needs to address the question. Mainly, it needs to make sense. If you submit something that looks like the President sent it out at 2:30 in the morning, you probably won't get a very good grade."

But, the question is non-sensical, what truck can be driven at 200+ MPH. :rofl:

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

A 1750-kg truck traveling at 100.0 m/s threatens some nuns in a crosswalk. A superhero named Stupendous Man uses his super strength to slow the truck to 50.0 m/s which buys enough time for the nuns to get out of the road. His heroic effort takes 10.2 s, and the truck travels 765.31 m during that time.  

1. How much work does Stupendous Man do on the truck? 

2. How much force must Stupendous Man exert on the truck to slow it down?

3. What power does Stupendous Man produce in his effort?

Assuming standard physics word problem rules and constant forces, and not showing my work because I don't want to type in that many equations.  And assuming I remember how significant digits work:

1.  6.563 x 10^6 J

2.  8.576 x 10^3 N

3.  6.43 x 10^5 W

Yes, I got an A in AP Physics.  Why do you ask? ;)

In my defense, I am a first-year Physics teacher. I'm used to dealing with things on a much smaller scale. That, and I was writing the problem as the tardy bell was ringing this morning.

Let's see if any of my students catch the problem as well as you all did.

Gold stars for everyone!