Pariah

The Academics Thread

On 2/28/2019 at 5:36 AM, Badger said:

Cancer, the answer is 47. 

*watches Cancer lose the rest of his  sanity* 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:49 AM, Cancer said:

I admit that for personal reasons I prefer 37 to 47, but as I said before, it isn't out of the question.  I have tomorrow's exam already printed off, but the final exam isn't too far off and it could be made to happen then.

I think 47 is Star Treks "42". The best explanation I ever read was:
"It is 42, but accounting for Inflation".

21 hours ago, Badger said:

Hey, I got it right before looking.  (though it was partly from having fun over the years with figuring percentages in sports)

My Mom--a huge baseball fan, who remembers listening to Harry Caray on the radio when he was an announcer for the Cardinals--used baseball to teach percentages when she taught middle school.

9 hours ago, Cancer said:

Bazza will like this

... now if we could get him to grasp the mathematics of infinitesimals and pull him out of the utter mathophobia I have encountered too often 

I was great at general mathematics, almost calculator like in figuring out answers, but for whatever reason the higher maths mystified me.  (had to take Algebra I twice, did pretty well in Algebra II,  never got geometry, didn't go into trigonometry, pretty much considered calculus the devil's arithmetic. :P)

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I was great at general mathematics, almost calculator like in figuring out answers, but for whatever reason the higher maths mystified me.  (had to take Algebra I twice, did pretty well in Algebra II,  never got geometry, didn't go into trigonometry, pretty much considered calculus the devil's arithmetic. :P)

My higher mathematics courses primarily involved mathematical logic and set theory, with a smattering of numerical analysis, linear algebra, and a little game theory thrown in. Calculus was a prerequisite.

Pariah may not care if the test subject is launched in the intended manner.  I mean, if you run that much current through something, there will be... acceleration.

I have one psychology major (wants to get into med school) in my class this term ... the write-up from this student for the last lab has a typo where instead of "μF" for a capacitance it reads "Fμ".  I circled this and wrote "Freudian".