The Academics Thread

Pariah

This just in: Our illustrious Secretary of Education wants to cut the Education Department budget by 12%, including an $18M cut in support for Special Olympics.

As an educator and a father of a daughter with special needs, I find this infuriating. What the [REDACTED] is this woman doing running the Department of Education?!

8 minutes ago, Pariah said:

This just in: Our illustrious Secretary of Education wants to cut the Education Department budget by 12%, including an $18M cut in support for Special Olympics.

As an educator and a father of a daughter with special needs, I find this infuriating. What the [REDACTED] is this woman doing running the Department of Education?!

Exactly what she was put in to do--dismantle it.

See also Department of the Interior, EPA, HUD

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

Yeah, I am not a fan of messing with special needs stuff, even if my belief of DoE strategy is to randomly throw money at a problem and make believe it works.

Tomorrow morning's Starter Quiz question:

Two blue whales are singing songs to each other at a distance. The first whale sings its song at 10:00 a.m. The second whale hears the song at 12:08 p.m.  How far apart are the whales? (Assume they’re in the same time zone.)

If they did the homework I assigned last time, this should be a walk in the park. If not...well....

On 3/27/2019 at 9:24 AM, Pariah said:

Looks like Trump nixed that.  Then Devos followed that up with this hilarious statement:

I am pleased and grateful the President and I see eye-to-eye on this issue and that he has decided to fund our Special Olympics grant.  This is funding I have fought for behind the scenes over the last several years.

Except she tried to cut it twice the last couple years and it was rejected and she defended the cut twice earlier this week.

• 2 weeks later...

For tomorrow's midterm:

The Russian submarine Red December is being pursued by the American submarine USS Austin. The Austin pings the Red December with a sonar burst at a frequency of 50 kHz. The Red December records the ping at a frequency of 48.5 kHz.  Which submarine is traveling faster?  Support your answer with appropriate diagrams and calculations.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

For tomorrow's midterm:

The Russian submarine Red December is being pursued by the American submarine USS Austin. The Austin pings the Red December with a sonar burst at a frequency of 50 kHz. The Red December records the ping at a frequency of 48.5 kHz.  Which submarine is traveling faster?  Support your answer with appropriate diagrams and calculations.

Doppler effect, I see. Observed frequency is less than source frequency, then the two submarines are moving apart. So the Red December is faster, since they are both traveling in the same direction and the USS Austin is not gaining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I talked to my professor today about my summer research capstone project. I'm going to be working with stable heavy isotopes in a plasma mass spectrometry lab. The tentative project is analysis of wood from an ash tree to determine lead content from groundwater the tree absorbed over a period of several decades. Should be pretty interesting!