The Academics Thread

Pariah

7 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The opening sentence from a paper one of my students submitted:

"Scientific literacy is incredibly important in a world where clickbait oversimplifies scientific studies for the sake of creating maximum ad revenue."

The Top Five Reasons for Scientific Literacy... you won't believe number three!

• 3 weeks later...

Newton-Machian analysis of Neo-tychonian model of planetary motions

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1301.6045.pdf

Abstract. The calculation of the trajectories in the Sun-Earth-Mars system will be performed in two different models, both in the framework of Newtonian mechanics. First model is well-known Copernican system, which assumes the Sun is at rest and all the planets orbit around it. Second one is less-known model developed by Tycho Brahe (1546-1601), according to which the Earth stands still, the Sun orbits around the Earth, and other planets orbit around the Sun. The term “Neo-tychonian system” refers to the assumption that orbits of distant masses around the Earth are synchronized with the Sun’s orbit. It is the aim of this paper to show the kinematical and dynamical equivalence of these systems, under the assumption of Mach’s principle.

• 2 weeks later...

I abused one of my perks as Associate Director to peruse the grade distributions of the  instructors who taught the "same" course as I did last fall.  ("Same" in the sense of same course designation, but all of these have different content; the course title is "Inquiry Seminar in the Natural Sciences".)  Of all of them, the two lowest course GPAs were both from people in the Physics Department and of those two the dead lowest was ... moi.

(Buffs nails)

Well, it's settled. Microwave digestion is out because it won't accommodate samples large enough to allow for differentiation between signal and noise. Ceramic and nickel crucibles are out because they leach lead into the acid used to retrieve the sample. Platinum crucibles it is!

I am eavesdropping on a meeting of several staff members about course scheduling etc., and they have been slagging off on obnoxious tendencies of faculty in general for the last ten minutes.  As has been noted before in many similar contexts, in such discussions the worst individual cases are what stick in people's minds and are mentioned as "typical".