Pariah

The Academics Thread

22 hours ago, Cancer said:

I also note he carefully refrained from actually quoting a number, or performing any direct numerical comparison with the compensation of other types of workers, for the salaries he thinks are excessive.

To do so, he'd actually have to have some knowledge of what the numbers in question are. 

A nice slightly past first quarter Moon in view here this evening.  Check off the existence theorem!  Come December, there will be no mercy for the wastrels who have not done their Moon lab.  Mwah-hah-hah!!

Question on next week's quiz:

An anthropomorphic super-genius coyote drops an anvil from the top of a cliff, hoping to hit a roadrunner running along the road below. As it falls, who or what exerts a force on the anvil?

32 minutes ago, Pariah said:

As it falls, who or what exerts a force on the anvil?

Who:  All living beings having mass exert a very tiny gravitational force on the anvil.  Who literally equates to everyone and everything.

From today's MS cohort presentation:

"Pneumonoultramricroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, widely accepted as the longest word in the English language, describes a respiratory ailment caused by breathing ultrafine silicate particles from a volcanic eruption."

That feeling when one of your students fills his exam paper with complete bollocks, hoping you won't pay close enough attention to notice that there's no way the numbers and equations he wrote could possibly result in the correct answer he obviously copied from someone else.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:10 PM, L. Marcus said:

In a couple of hours, I'm taking our version of the SAT once more. It's my sixth time doing the Högskoleprovet.

Just out of curiosity - Are you going for a perfect score?

I had a friend take it several times in high school until he hit the maximum score for back then (1600).

29 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

Just out of curiosity - Are you going for a perfect score?

I had a friend take it several times in high school until he hit the maximum score for back then (1600).

No, I'm "just" after the weighted max score of 2.0. I would have had it a couple of years ago if it wasn't for hypoglycemia during the final part of the test -- that's where I had half of my errors.

A bit of info on the SweSAT -- Högskoleprovet. Mostly correct, apart from now one can't take any material home. There's been a couple of cheating scandals, so the test givers are nigh-paranoid about information getting out. The resulting score and weighed grade is released towards the end of November.