The Academics Thread

Pariah

Yes, all the big planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) have ring systems.  Jupiter & Neptune's were discovered by spacecraft as they flew through each system.  Saturn's was discovered centuries back.  Uranus's was discovered from Earth using occultation methods in the 1980s, IIRC.  Only Saturn's can be detected directly from Earth.

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

Multiple Plutos?! Are you mad, man?

Okay that does it...every Planet except Earth is now Pluto-ised. Do Saturn is now a big Pluto with Saturn’s Rings. Jupiter is now a really big Pluto with Jupiter’s famous red spot . Etc. 

I prefer the Jack Burton perspective: "Well, you see I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything. But I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of fool to think we're all alone in this universe."

Observation:

When there are multiple sections of the same lab class, it seems generally true that the students enrolled in the last-meeting section suffer an unusually high concentration of dimwits, slackers, functional brain-dead zombies, individuals offended by the concept they actually should do something, people whose universal response is "tl;dr", etc.  As an instructor, not only should you be judgmental, but it behooves you to say that you have already exhausted your reserves of mercy, and therefore there will be none.