The Academics Thread

Pariah

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Why, is there something wrong with expressing volume in kg/m?

It's a perfectly reasonable way of describing sliced bacon.

Of course, I could rationalize the use of decibels/volt.   Think of it as a good way to characterize electric torture devices.

Last fall in my Solar System class I mentioned astrology, and described the things you need to do to construct a chart.  Some interesting math and geometry there, and it helps if you can come to grips with a few bits of three-dimensional reasoning.  But once you ahve the chart done and it's time to do the interpretation, then it's all hooey.

I think the discussion of the math and what it was all about killed their interest (let alone expectations) in the horoscope thing.

I suppose it is too bad we don't have time travel, so, Cancer could go to the prehistoric days where he could manipulate his knowledge to leave the cavemen in awe, leaving them with no choice but to make him god-chief over all...…...

…….or he just takes a bonk-bonk to the head.  Either way, no more grading papers, so it would be a win for him.

I had a series of Murphy's Law books back in the day. Among the various academic entries I remember these:

* If you have an open book exam, you will forget to bring the book.

* If you have a take-home exam, you will forget where you live.