The Academics Thread

Pariah

Meanwhile, I can report that giving a Zoom lecture is at least as tiring and stressful as regular inperson lecture.  More so, since I am not used to sitting down and having to flip between windows as opposed to writing on a board.

EDIT: And OMG, I hate watching/listening to myself on video.  Hate hate hate.  And the random crap in heaps behind me as I talk....

26 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Meanwhile, I can report that giving a Zoom lecture is at least as tiring and stressful as regular inperson lecture.  More so, since I am not used to sitting down and having to flip between windows as opposed to writing on a board.

EDIT: And OMG, I hate watching/listening to myself on video.  Hate hate hate.  And the random crap in heaps behind me as I talk....

Haha, this is funny.  The wife has had to give online Engineering lectures and she HATES hearing her own voice.  Since she was born in Brazil, she also has a bit of an accent so that is another factor that bothers her.

I had to give a sort-of online class back in the 1990s; it wasn't on the internet per se, but the university had four different campuses, each of which had a TV studio, all linked by closed circuit, with students in attendance in the studios.  I got a few of my lectures on videotape from that, which I found that I couldn't bear to watch.  But my mom did watch one of those tapes, so in that sense she did see me teach once.

52 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Haha, this is funny.  The wife has had to give online Engineering lectures and she HATES hearing her own voice.  Since she was born in Brazil, she also has a bit of an accent so that is another factor that bothers her.

Brazilian accent = teh sexxy

Sorry, I'll mind my own business.

With the free version you can only have meetings up to 40 minutes long.  But if I'm using my campus login I have the site license for pro, which I think is unlimited in meeting duration.  Yet another faculty perk I hadn't thought about before.