The Academics Thread

Pariah

6 minutes ago, Cancer said:

If you just do the Pythagorean theorem, a^2 + b^2 = c^2, and a = 1 and b = i, if you do this in the straightforward way, then 1^2 = 1, i^2 = -1, and then the sum is zero.

That's why I'm saying the "1" could be any number. Like, if the 1 was a 5, then the "i" would be an imaginary number that, when squared, makes -5.

Amirightoramiright? ;)

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

1 equals 1 damn it.  I'm not listening anymore.

No, I'm not trolling. What I'm saying is, I looked at the diagram and the first thing I said when I saw it was, "Why does that have to be a 1? Isn't the 1 arbitrary?" 

Like, it would be more profound if that had to be a 1, but it could literally be any number, so for me the diagram is less "wow" and more "ah."

1 hour ago, pbemguy said:

No, I'm not trolling. What I'm saying is, I looked at the diagram and the first thing I said when I saw it was, "Why does that have to be a 1? Isn't the 1 arbitrary?" 

Like, it would be more profound if that had to be a 1, but it could literally be any number, so for me the diagram is less "wow" and more "ah."

Yeah, I do grasp that. :winkgrin:

But, I like to keep things simple. :nya:

1 minute ago, Cancer said:

Meanwhile ... a little late, but ...

April Fools Day technical manuscripts

If not for the coronavirus we would've played a good April Fools upon Cancer

New and dumber students.

Note: Ironically, I hear tell, Cancer in lockdown is teaching new students, after capturing the rats in his basement,  I heard he says they are the best students he has ever had

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Note: Ironically, I hear tell, Cancer in lockdown is teaching new students, after capturing the rats in his basement,  I heard he says they are the best students he has ever had

No, the rats escaped years ago.  Nothing left but the dust rhinoceroses.  And they're about par for what I'm used to in my 8AM lectures.

I got four different emails today (from one class of 37 students) saying they didn't understand how to do the assignments that were due yesterday.

One of them even suggested that she had spoken to several of her classmates, and they didn't understand how to do the assignments either.

I expect the administration would look at it poorly if I were to respond to these comments en masse by saying, "Where the Hell have you all been for the last 2 weeks?"

This survey is about the course content and what you've heard about the course and instructor, rather than being about course delivery.  There are no right answers here.  I prefer to do this completely anonymously (by doing it on paper in the classroom on the first day of classes), but Canvas does not have a means of shielding your identity from me on these surveys.

For all these questions, choose as many as apply.

Question 11 pts

I feel I already know some stuff about astronomy, space science, and physics.

Group of answer choices
Oh yeah
Some
I've heard those words
Don't hurt me

Question 21 pts

I'm in this class because

Group of answer choices
It was the only way my schedule could work
I guessed that this is the UCOR 1800 that might have the least math
I have no idea; I was put here by someone else
I explicitly wanted this kind of subject
Another student I know said good things about this class
I'm gonna drop, but I haven't found a satisfactory alternative yet

Question 31 pts

Things I have heard about this instructor

Group of answer choices
Nothing at all
Just what's in his "Personal Trivia" on this Canvas page
He's hard
He's boring
He's terrifying

Question 41 pts

Astronomy is different from astrology!

Group of answer choices
Yup, and I know the difference
Ummmmm....
Am I in the wrong class?

Question 51 pts

The instructor doesn't want to give exams in this class this term!

Group of answer choices
Oh hellzya!!
That makes me nervous; I'm good at test-taking
So how will I be evaluated?
So will he go to random.org to assign grades?
The boostest lotor zerpled in the sneed's bungans.

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

I got four different emails today (from one class of 37 students) saying they didn't understand how to do the assignments that were due yesterday.

One of them even suggested that she had spoken to several of her classmates, and they didn't understand how to do the assignments either.

I expect the administration good look at it poorly if I were to respond to these comments en masse by saying, "Where the Hell have you all been for the last 2 weeks?"

Don't be silly, if they were like me in high school, they didn't start on it until that day anyway. :(

Our faculty meeting last week was on Zoom. Then, a couple of days later, an email from the district superintendent said not to use zoom anymore. So today we used Microsoft teams.

Potato, to-mah-to....

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Our faculty meeting last week was on Zoom. Then, a couple of days later, an email from the district superintendent said not to use zoom anymore. So today we used Microsoft teams.

Potato, to-mah-to....

Zoom is very cavailer about privacy, so I’d trust Microsoft a bit more.