Pariah

The Academics Thread

36 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Zoom is very cavailer about privacy, so I’d trust Microsoft a bit more. 

This is what is meant by the saying "To damn with faint praise".

We're dusting off the old boardgames lately.  Yesterday, we decided to play the game of Life.  The wife was less than amused when she drew the Teacher career card and it stated that they make $100k a year.

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

We're dusting off the old boardgames lately.  Yesterday, we decided to play the game of Life.  The wife was less than amused when she drew the Teacher career card and it stated that they make $100k a year.

I always wondered how I became a millionaire on a teacher's salary (heck, when, I didn't land a career at all) and the IRS didn't show up.

Edit: plus I believe one square, you landed on, you would inherit a skunk farm and paid 20k to get rid of them,  I tried to argue, what if I didn't want to get rid of them, and keep the money.

In light of the ongoing fight against COVID-19, the governor and State School Board announced today that schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:49 PM, Old Man said:

Have you tried the Zoom backgrounds feature yet?

Gave it a try this afternoon, without an audience.  The problem is that my hair is wispy enough on top now that it ... doesn't play well with a background.  The place where Zoom draws the boundary between me and the not-me means that the top of my head changes shape continually and erratically.  I cannot imagine that being anything but distracting.  Alternately, it could be interpreted as the electronic manifestation of an entity that is actually some sort of extradimensional demon who can't maintain a stable physical presence in this universe.  And that's close enough to the truth that I don't want to draw attention to the hypothesis.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Gave it a try this afternoon, without an audience.  The problem is that my hair is wispy enough on top now that it ... doesn't play well with a background.  The place where Zoom draws the boundary between me and the not-me means that the top of my head changes shape continually and erratically.  I cannot imagine that being anything but distracting.  Alternately, it could be interpreted as the electronic manifestation of an entity that is actually some sort of extradimensional demon who can't maintain a stable physical presence in this universe.  And that's close enough to the truth that I don't want to draw attention to the hypothesis.

But, hey, they would at least pay attention, rather than falling asleep. :winkgrin:  Some progress.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Wispy hair?  Time for the Walter White look.  After all, none of us can get haircuts now anyway.

The pains of uncombable thick hair in my teens, are paying dividends in my 40s.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Wispy hair?  Time for the Walter White look.  After all, none of us can get haircuts now anyway.

More like Doc Brown's hair, unmasked Judge Doom's eyes, and Lord Kelvin's beard.

William Molyneux's problem / question: "could someone who was born blind, and able to distinguish a globe and a cube by touch, be able to immediately distinguish and name these shapes by sight if given the ability to see?"