The Academics Thread

Pariah

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

The 21st century: I have this feeling I am not going to make it through.

To make it through the 21st Century, I'd have to live to be almost 133 years old.

Yeah, that ain't happening. Nor would I want it to.

“When you sit with a nice girl for two hours you think it’s only a minute, but when you sit on a hot stove for a minute you think it’s two hours. That’s relativity.”

-Albert Einstein (or his secretary)

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

Quote: Lies, damned lies, and statistics

;) 

I have an uncle who was an accounting professor (and an accountant, naturally) who is quite fond of this one.

He also frequently says, "Not all statisticians are liars, but all liars use statistics."

OK, after way too long and difficult a labor, the second virtual lab has been delivered.  Biggest worry: it's too much work.

Overview: measuring orbital periods and orbit sizes for three of the Galilean moons of Jupiter, and applying Kepler's 3rd Law to those to get a mass.  Timing from a video (time interval between successive eclipses); size from measuring pixels off still frames with GIMP.

If you have time on your hands and wanna see it, PM me and I'll see if I can email it to you.  I mean, we're all bored enough with shelter in place that you can think of it as Jupiter Pr0n.  Or something.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, Pariah said:

“When you sit with a nice girl for two hours you think it’s only a minute, but when you sit on a hot stove for a minute you think it’s two hours. That’s relativity.”

-Albert Einstein (or his secretary)

And when I nice girl sits with me for a minute she thinks it is 2 hours. 

Wait

:weep:

I am repeatedly amazed at how many students don't realize that 2d6 and 1d12 (ignore all 1's on the latter) do NOT give the same distribution functions until they are forced to do the experiment and histogram the outcomes.

11 options on the former, 12 on the latter.  the latter theoretically would have even distribution.  whereas the former would be weighted more towards the middle numbers like 6 and 7 with 2 and 12 only having one chance in 36 (too lazy to give number crunching)

Me am smart.

9 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I am repeatedly amazed at how many students don't realize that 2d6 and 1d12 (ignore all 1's on the latter) do NOT give the same distribution functions until they are forced to do the experiment and histogram the outcomes.

Just now, Badger said:

11 options on the former, 12 on the latter.  the latter theoretically would have even distribution.  whereas the former would be weighted more towards the middle numbers (too lazy to give number crunching)

Me am smart.

Bell curve vs linear distribution. Rolling a 12 on a d12 is 3 times more likely than on 2d6, and rolling a 7 is twice as likely on 2d6 than on a d12.