The Academics Thread

Pariah

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

No, I said ignore the 1,'s, so there's only 11 options in the latter. 

But the rest you're right.  And you're ahead of some 20% of my students in that class.

Sorry, I thought you were saying they were ignoring the 1s.  

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

Bell curve vs linear distribution. Rolling a 12 on a d12 is 3 times more likely than on 2d6, and rolling a 7 is twice as likely on 2d6 than on a d12.

No, no, no, if I need to roll a 12 for PC humiliation avoidance, my chances are 0% regardless of how it is done.

43 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I think the last time I played a system where you rolled your characteristics was back in the late 1980s.  Even for that one you rolled up your six numbers but you could assign them where you wanted.

But, it still doesn't help if you make 6 bad rolls.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Just don't make me roll my stats, I get tired of playing a weak, dumb, and slow PC with the charisma of a rock.

I call him Meat-Shield.

Wait, you created Oculon?

:winkgrin:

Final grades for the quarter are to be posted three weeks from today. 

Tomorrow I will put up the last new material for the quarter. I've been using a completely asynchronous method, giving my students a couple of ways to contact me individually if necessary.

I've also filmed myself doing some labs and calling out the data as I go. Students record the data and then perform and report the necessary analysis.

The on bright side to all of this: I haven't given or recorded a lecture this quarter. Not. One.

It makes me think I could pull off a flipped classroom when/If we go back to in-person learning in the fall.

We're replacing two science teachers next year--lost one to retirement and one to law school--and bringing on two additional science teachers since we're moving from grades 10-12 to 9-12. So we'll have eight science teachers, four of whom will be new to the building.

Oh, and starting next year, I'm the department chair. No extra money, just extra meetings.