The Academics Thread

Pariah

Instructor comments on first drafts:

This draft seems rather too vague, and almost willfully evasive in that vagueness.

Comments on instructor comments:

The instructor is being vague and evasive about saying, "This draft sucks.  Start over and include what's in the reading this time."

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

If you learned Roman numerals in school, then you might've realised you were never taught the number for zero—and that's because there isn't one.

Actually, that lack of zero was one of the things first mentioned about Roman numerals, at least back in my elementary school days.

18 hours ago, Bazza said:

If you learned Roman numerals in school, then you might've realised you were never taught the number for zero—and that's because there isn't one.

10 hours ago, Cancer said:

Actually, that lack of zero was one of the things first mentioned about Roman numerals, at least back in my elementary school days.

- I got the above from the Internet. It is from a slideshow: 50 Absurd Facts That Will Make You Question Everything. The one for Roman & Greek zero, is #13. Most of these are really weird. Apparently, we only breath through one nostril at a time, then switch to the other. Oh, yeah, vegetables don't exist, and giraffe's hum. 

- I thought it was funny, due to its pun, as it is technically, true "zero [=] isn't one". I thought about posting it to the Jokes thread. I was expecting Pariah to slap me. 

- You really want to discuss Roman numerals and their lack of zero? There's nothing to discuss. 

:) 

🎶

Where's a symbol for the number that's two less than two?

I need a sign that marks a place, a blank spot just won't do!

Is there a way to use a finite set of symbols to 

Express an arbitrarily large quantity to you?

I need a zero!

I'm holding out for a zero at the end of the sum

And it's got to go here and it's got to be clear

That it's standing in place of the ones!

i need  a zero!

I'm holding out for a zero and I'll take nothing less

I need it to count up the numbers that mount up

Past what Roman numerals express

I need a zero!

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary gives Lucius a big fat zero

My six-year-old demonstrated the beginnings of an understanding of Algebra tonight. I asked him, "What is five Q plus five Q?"

He just kind of looked at me funny, so I asked him again: "What is five Q plus five Q?"

After a moment, he answered, "Ten Q."

And I said, "You're welcome!"

(True story.)