The Academics Thread

Pariah

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

43356332b7ec396921047331731a9b76.jpg

Mr Sagan, with all due respect, the “way [process] of thinking” is called logic, which has long been considered a philosophical science. It is robust as it encompasses being, substance, quantity, relation, quality, form, matter, teleology, actuality, potentiality, existence, essence, truth, amongst others. Philosophical logic says we we can know these things directly from our external & internal senses. The approach of science is that we can know quantity & matter indirectly, by conducting experiments and modelling the results using mathematics. 

It goes without saying that both approaches are useful, and can complement each other. They can and do enrich each other. It doesn’t have to be an either/or choice.

Cordially, 

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

Mr Sagan, with all due respect, the “way [process] of thinking” is called logic, which has long been considered a philosophical science. It is robust as it encompasses being, substance, quantity, relation, quality, form, matter, teleology, actuality, potentiality, existence, essence, truth, amongst others. Philosophical logic says we we can know these things directly from our external & internal senses. The approach of science is that we can know quantity & matter indirectly, by conducting experiments and modelling the results using mathematics. 

It goes without saying that both approaches are useful, and can complement each other. They can and do enrich each other. It doesn’t have to be an either/or choice.

Cordially, 

I'm sure he understood that.  In my opinion,  he was trying to say all of the above, except he was trying to say it with eloquence and brevity in order to appeal to the masses - bringing an understanding of scientific method and logic to the masses was one of his lifelong goals.

I thought people here would appreciate this article on how school principals are the key to safely reopening schools. 

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/509964-school-principals-are-key-lever-to-ensuring-safe-and-successful-school

Yeah, consulting people who have no health expertise and who may themselves believe that the pandemic is a hoax is going to be the key to making sure that schools open and operate safely. 🤪

31 minutes ago, Cancer said:

American Astronomical Society's "Teaching astronomy on-line" YouTube videos

Just started these.  May be implictly college instruction rather than secondary schools.

I have added this link to my list of favorites. I will definitely watch these videos.

I also got my Certificate of Completion for the NESTA workshop I did. It's very pretty.

With teachers in my district reporting for in-service next Thursday, we have our year-opening marching orders. Normal A/B schedule Monday through Thursday, teacher prep and distance learning focus day Friday. All class content to be made available both in person and online. Masks must be worn by all students, teachers, and staff, no exceptions. Students who are unable or unwilling to wear a mask must use the distance learning model instead. Normal class scheduling, which in my district typically means 35 to 40 students in an average high school class. Social distancing to be implemented as circumstances (i.e., how big your classroom is) allow. 

This is the plan in my district. Other districts are implementing different plans, according to their own needs. The district immediately north of ours, for example, has pushed back the beginning of school by about three weeks and is starting completely distance based. The State has steadfastly refused to implement universal guidelines, citing low case numbers in some of our rural counties (and vocal push back therefrom). They have instructed each district to do what they feel will work best.

The State has also come out and said that any school with 15 confirmed positive tests can be shut down and moved to strictly distance learning. Given that my school had 12 positive tests just a couple of weeks ago (arising from a Young Women's activity at a local church), I don't foresee being in my classroom more than a couple of weeks before we go back into academic lockdown.

Buckle up, kiddos.

The start of the school year here has already been pushed back once, to 8/17. Today, with ICUs projected to run out of beds by the end of the month, the teachers’ union publicly demanded that schools go online only for the fall semester. They’ll probably get what they want. 

• 2 weeks later...

Day Four of in-service is over, with a heavy (~3½ hours) dose of Distance Learning training, some of which was given by yours truly. 

More training tomorrow, about two hours of which will be me, as newly conscripted department chair, explaining the new State core Science standards to the rest of the department (seven other teachers, four of whom are new to the building).

Imagine my joy.