The Academics Thread

Pariah

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

After checking for the first time today, I have a total of 83 registered for my two sections of the 2nd quarter of algebra-based physics next term (the syllabus includes hydrostatics, oscillations, waves, and sound, and electromagnetism).  That's about a half-dozen more than any previous total that I can remember.  I genuinely did not expect the total to go up in the plague year, though I suppose I should have, knowing what I do about incoming class sizes over time.

Clearly your reputation is not nearly fearsome enough. 

... Despite our heroic efforts to teach the sun’s

motion throughout the year, on the final  (given in either December or May) I have never

gotten over 75% correct answers to the following question.  I challenge all of you fine colleagues

to ask it of your students, and if you get about 75% correct please tell me how you taught them!

1.     Right now the sun

A.    Rises in the east and sets in the west

B.    Rises in the northeast and sets in the northwest

C.    Rises in the northeast and sets in the southwest

D.    Rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest

E.    Rises in the southeast and sets in the northwest

On 11/18/2020 at 5:34 PM, Cancer said:

Either that, or 2020 has worn them down and they have devolved into resigned acceptance of doom, in which case they may be seeking a quicker end.

I am signing up for Cancer's class next semester then.

This may end up mutually assured destruction though.

The word 'seminars' is best understood by breaking it down into its component parts:

'semi-' meaning 'half'

'arse' meaning 'the buttocks'

From this it is easy to conclude that seminars are a series of half-assed discussions.

Any experienced educator knows this intuitively.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:38 PM, Cancer said:

... Despite our heroic efforts to teach the sun’s

motion throughout the year, on the final  (given in either December or May) I have never

gotten over 75% correct answers to the following question.  I challenge all of you fine colleagues

to ask it of your students, and if you get about 75% correct please tell me how you taught them!

1.     Right now the sun

A.    Rises in the east and sets in the west

B.    Rises in the northeast and sets in the northwest

C.    Rises in the northeast and sets in the southwest

D.    Rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest

E.    Rises in the southeast and sets in the northwest

My mother is in trouble. When we had a comet a few years ago and they directions to look for it in the sky, it turned out she was looking in the exact opposite direction 

VSH is my personal notation indicating clear, prosecutable academic dishonesty.  Plagiarism in a paper, copying on an exam, fabrication of data on a lab.  It stands for "Vehement suspicion of heresy", which is the charge on which Galileo was tried, and was sentenced "to be shown the instruments of torture as if they were to be used."