The Academics Thread

Pariah

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

You could set up a lab to measure it.  Otherwise set up a simple model where you can estimate it.  I've never seen one cracked open to see what's inside.

It's just a bearing.  Source: Have cracked one open to steal the bearing.  Am now scientist.  ;)

The moment of inertia of the fidget spinner will depend heavily on the design and mass, of course.  We wound up with about two dozen different types during the height of the craze.

@Cancer

West Point adopted remote learning following spring break during the last academic year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Fifty-nine cadets have admitted to cheating on the final exam in May in a calculus course, which was administered remotely amid the coronavirus pandemic, USA Today first reported. All of the cadets made the same mistake in one section of the test.

West Point instructors initially raised accusations against 73 cadets, including 72 first-year cadets and one second-year cadet

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/531221-west-point-faces-worst-cheating-scandal-in-nearly-45-years-involving-more-than

...and that was with students whose entire academic career hinges upon adherence to a code of ethical behavior.

Yeah, nothing is more of a dead giveaway to academic dishonesty than identical wrong answers.

16 hours ago, archer said:

@Cancer

West Point adopted remote learning following spring break during the last academic year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Fifty-nine cadets have admitted to cheating on the final exam in May in a calculus course, which was administered remotely amid the coronavirus pandemic, USA Today first reported. All of the cadets made the same mistake in one section of the test.

West Point instructors initially raised accusations against 73 cadets, including 72 first-year cadets and one second-year cadet

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/531221-west-point-faces-worst-cheating-scandal-in-nearly-45-years-involving-more-than

...and that was with students whose entire academic career hinges upon adherence to a code of ethical behavior.

Sounds like a quick one way ticket to the Big Chicken Dinner.

I've just had the most brilliant (if evil) flash of inspiration.

When the day arrives that I finally have more money than I know what to do with, I'm going to hire private investigators to follow up on the lives of former students who have been particular PITAs. 

When the children of those former students turn 6 or 7 years old, they will be getting an anonymous birthday gift from me:

A drum kit.

Thus will I have my revenge.

On 12/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, Pariah said:

I've just had the most brilliant (if evil) flash of inspiration.

When the day arrives that I finally have more money than I know what to do with, I'm going to hire private investigators to follow up on the lives of former students who have been particular PITAs. 

When the children of those former students turn 6 or 7 years old, they will be getting an anonymous birthday gift from me:

A drum kit.

Thus will I have my revenge.

Tangentially along the same lines:

My old family doctor closed her practice back in May, and I finally got around to getting a new one; the intake appointment was the morning of 12/31. 

We worked out during the appointment that he took my pre-med physics course from me back in Winter of 2007 or 2008.

We shall see if he feels the need to extract revenge.

...and a number of my students have come to the conclusion that the identity of the silvery-grey metal bars they conducted the calorimetry experiment on is brass, because that's the number closest to what their calculator gave them.

I gave some of my students an assignment to research the causes, effects, and solutions to the Salt Lake valley's annual inversion problem. In reading the responses, one group jokingly suggested as a solution "Blow up the mountains so we get better air flow".

And I found myself thinking, "Yes, go on...."

Back around 1990 there was an idiot of a mathematician somewhere who suggested that cyclic orbit or obliquity or something changes of the Earth were partly to blame for the climate change effects we were seeing (that's not that far-fetched, but I don't think that's a leading factor), and that the Moon caused those (true, at least some of them), and he suggested we blow up the Moon and get rid of it.

That around the time I was getting to know future in-laws, and in one of those conversations my step-father-in-law-to-be mentioned this guy and asked what I thought of his idea.

My response was, "What's he want to do with the f***ing pieces?"

Sell the pieces as souvenirs.

Since the majority of the wealth of the world is in the northern hemisphere, it would make sense that's where most of the sales would be

Then in a few years, he could come up with some brilliant solution to solve the Earth being too "top-heavy".