The Academics Thread

Pariah

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

:think:  I wonder if they'll make me drink hemlock if I introduce my students to log-log plots.

Probably not. Based on a previous case you drink hemlock if you do two things: corrupt the youth and impiety. Perhaps introducing log-log plots is equivalent to corrupting the youth and is impious, so maybe you’ll get to drink after all? :D 

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Next week's physics question: Does Kepler's Third Law apply to the Galilean Moons as they orbit Jupiter?

Would you like me to send you the lab exercise we made for that?  Involves iamge analysis from freely available data using freely available software.  Probably a bit beyond high school level, though.  Not much (it's the algebra-based course), but it'd be a stretch.

==========================

53 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Probably not. Based on a previous case you drink hemlock if you do two things: corrupt the youth and impiety. Perhaps introducing log-log plots is equivalent to corrupting the youth and is impious, so maybe you’ll get to drink after all? :D 

That's pretty much exactly what I was asking.  Because a number of people in the class will answer "yes" if I ask them if they think the word "logarithm" is a Satanic incantation...

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Would you like me to send you the lab exercise we made for that?  Involves iamge analysis from freely available data using freely available software.  Probably a bit beyond high school level, though.  Not much (it's the algebra-based course), but it'd be a stretch.

Oh no, they're collaborating.  I feel like I'm witnessing the founding of the Legion of Doom.

11 minutes ago, Pariah said:

...and I just discovered that the whiniest, neediest, most high-maintenance student from my 1st Semester ACT Prep class is in my Astronomy class for 2nd semester.

Shoot me.

It really seems like shooting the student would be more appropriate, but okay. 

4.  Select the value of the square root of 16 from the values below:

1.  Four
  2. 4
  3. No, this 4
  4. Not this one
  5. log10(10,000)
  6. 1 + 1 + 1 + 1
  7. the cube root of 64
  8. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
  9. None of the above
  10. All of the above
  11. Kill me now, please

The art of writing multiple-choice questions.

EDIT: Canvas in particular makes it very easy to do this.  Unfortunately, one thing it can't do is change on a student-by-student basis which answer is supposedly correct.  Nor can you avoid having one answer be designated as correct.  Annoying limitations in these stupid learning management systems.

Dr. Brad Cox, Ph.D of Manassas, Virginia, died on January 2, 2021 at his residence. Dr. Cox was a computer scientist known mostly for creating the Objective – C programming language with his business partner, Tom Love, and for his work in software engineering (specifically software reuse) and software componentry. 

The late Steve Jobs', NeXT, licensed the Objective-C language for it's new operating system, NEXTSTEP. NeXT eventually acquired Objective- C from Stepstone. Objective-C continued to be the primary programming language for writing software for Apple's OS X and iOS.

The software that powered NeXTStep, OpenStep (Java is a ‘spinoff’), Mac OS X, and iOS (iPhone & iPads) was because of Brad Cox. It was because of Objective-C, that Tim Berners-Lee was able to create the WWW and its bowser, on NeXTStep.