2018 Baseball Thread (MLB and whatever)

Cancer

The Rocks' home opener is this afternoon against Atlanta. Today's weather forecast for Denver: Rain and snow, with a high in the low 40s.

Atlanta is a lot better this year, should be a better test of the Rockies pitching.  If they can squeeze a game in.

Great vid of Paxton; he's definitely not comfortable with being an eagle's roost but he's pretty calm about it.

26 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Not MLB.  He pitches for the Mariners.

Seattle has the talent to make some noise in the AL West. Unfortunately they are in the same division as the Astros, who might actually be willing to spend money to hold onto their best players.

But Nelson Cruz still has some power (assuming he doesn't get caught doping again) and Robinson Cano is still one heck of a player. Pitching is their biggest problem, since among other things Felix Hernandez' best days are behind him.

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm hoping I can get to the local Giants AA team this year: the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes!  Its the best baseball available today, and there are no bad seats at a minor league game.

Minor league ball is the best!  I'm going in for surgery on May 1st, hoping to get downtown to see an Indianapolis Indians game or two before then.

Their home opener was this past Friday evening.  The team for years has offered a "Sixty Degree Guarantee" on Opening Night.  If the temp isn't at least 60 by first pitch, everybody in the place gets a ticket to another April game.  Wish I'd have made it down there, as the temperature at game time was right around freezing.  It actually snowed.

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm hoping I can get to the local Giants AA team this year: the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes!  Its the best baseball available today, and there are no bad seats at a minor league game.

Actually, the Volcanoes are "Short-Season A" level. They're in the same league as the Hillsboro Hops (the Portland metro area's only current team).

2 hours ago, Armory said:

Minor league ball is the best!  I'm going in for surgery on May 1st, hoping to get downtown to see an Indianapolis Indians game or two before then.

Their home opener was this past Friday evening.  The team for years has offered a "Sixty Degree Guarantee" on Opening Night.  If the temp isn't at least 60 by first pitch, everybody in the place gets a ticket to another April game.  Wish I'd have made it down there, as the temperature at game time was right around freezing.  It actually snowed.

Yeah, I used to go to minor league games.  But, once I took a 2nd shift job, traveling is somewhat harder (can only go on weekends at best.  SO it went from 15 games a year to 1-2). And I generally went with my dad, and he has had a couple of health issues this winter, so I don't think he will be all that fit to travel in the future too much.  So, I feel those games are in the past.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah, true.  But they have had a ton of really great players go through (I saw Buster Posey play!) and are a really good team.  And the food is great, too.

Actually that is the fun part seeing future MLBers.  When I was in high school, my dad and me saw Derek Jeter play quite a bit in Greensboro, NC.  In another park one year, the road team was an Indians team who had Manny Ramirez (but he got the day off).  Also saw Moises Alou when he was in A-ball.

My dad mentioned I got to see Don Mattingly when I was a kid, but I was a little too young to remember that one.

Maybe.  (never happens for me)

I never get to see the big pitchers coming up much.  The best known I can think of was the #1 pick Brien Taylor, near the end, long after his arm was ruined.  And that was mostly just sad to watch.  (Gave up 7-8 runs in 2 2/3, and the last 4-5 batters he faced all drew a walk.)

It's not just seeing MLB players on rehab (although I did catch Nomar while he was in town on rehab with the Pawtucket Red Sox several years back), but keep an eye on the coaching staffs as well.  I was able to meet and get Ryne Sandberg's autograph a few years ago when he was managing the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

9 hours ago, Badger said:

Thinking about it, Ohtani hitting could have an extra repercussion......Pujols

Last year, Pujols played 6 games in the field, 28 the year before.  He is liable to have to play 60-70 games at least  at 1B, can his body handle it?

So far, he has and looks good. He appears to have dropped 30 or so pounds and seems to be running better.  I like the Angels depth in their lineup now. 7-3 is the best they have started in 15 years, as they are usually a slow starting team. I was saying to my brother that Ohtani is probably a better fit for them then most contenders as they more then most needed someone at the back end who was a legitimate threat. I think most teams would love his pitching, but few needed his bat like the Angels did.

9 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeah, hitting-wise, I am waiting till JUne or so, to be truly excited.  The hot hitting rookie in April, has a high rate of being caught up with in June.

Awww...I was telling everybody after Opening Day that the Cubs' Ian Happ was on pace to hit 162 homers this year...

• 1 month later...

Yeah, Cano had a pretty good HOF case before this but that's probably gone now.  It'll depend on  whether he's believed about the the drug he took  being all he took. Furosemide (lasik) is mainly used a a diuretic by heart patients. I take it twice per day to keep my fluids down but abusers use it for masking other drugs and weight loss. He says he had a legit prescription but he's not appealing and admitted the use. Kinda destroys the Mariners season but does save them 11.5 million in salary out of his  24+ million this year.