2018 Baseball Thread (MLB and whatever)

Cancer

Depends, do people really try to hit a flyball out instead of a hit?  (I mean they try to parse out attempts for bunt hits from out and out sacrifice bunts so.....).  And doesn't a groundball to SS, achieve the same function as that flyball, if both are deep enough to move the runner home? (assuming runner not on first of course*)

*the effect a groundball would have on a hypothetical runner on first compared to the flyout is really the only possible reason I could see for the flyout not counting as an AB, yet the groundout counting.  In any case, they didn't count the sacrifice fly for good until the 1950s.  

Just saying, it never made sense to me, to reward one but not the other.

On 8/8/2018 at 2:11 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Baseball should:

• Call the full strike zone (high and low strike, as the rules indicate)
  • Eliminate video challenges except for post season
  • Eliminate the DH
  • Eliminate Interleague Play
  • Call any ball tipped into the catcher's mitt by the batter an out
  • Eliminate the "signalled intentional walk"
  • Reduce the number of games to 154, to shorten the season.  The World Series shouldn't be played in November.
  • Vigorously club about the face and neck anyone who thinks that team chemistry and morale means nothing and only stats matter for a team's performance
  • Create a "Caribbean" and "Asian" league to go with the National and American leagues.  Start by adding one level of play each year (start with A, then AA, etc) before having the draft for full MLB teams
  • Restructure free agency to encourage players to stay on a team
  • Quit monkeying with the ball every year to get more home runs
  • Eliminate catcher's indifference. If they stole a base, they stole a base, even if there's no throw

Call the full strike zone?  I say automate home plate.  It's time to ditch the subjective zone.

I don't mind video challenges, especially considering the number of calls that are overturned.

The DH...meh.  I've always been an NL guy but recently I'm coming around to adding it to the NL.

I agree, eliminate interleague play.  Contract a couple of teams if that unbalances the schedule.

I disagree about tipping into the catcher's mitt being an out.  It should remain a foul ball.

I too would like to see the automatic walk eliminated, but I don't consider it that big a deal.  It does save a bit of time, but not enough to be significant.

I agree, go back to 154 games.  This also might require contraction.

Ask Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin about the value of clubhouse chemistry.

I like the idea of adding Caribbean and Asian leagues to MLB, but I'd vote for actually adding some of those teams to MLB.  They're already defacto MLB farm systems, to a degree.

Free agency is fine the way it is.

I agree, don't mess with the ball.  But if you do, freaking admit it.

Not sure where I land on defensive indifference, but considering the dearth of stolen bases in the last few decades I'm not sure it makes any difference to anything.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Apparently Seattle has decided to avoid the playoffs again, and giving the spot to the Athletics.  Now, I'll have to hear about how Billy Beane is a "genius" ad nauseum come playoff time.

Yeah, back in June I shook my head and said it was too good to be real, and that has been confirmed.

Also, today's news: Felix Hernandez has been taken out of the rotation and put in the bullpen.

17 hours ago, Armory said:

Call the full strike zone?  I say automate home plate.  It's time to ditch the subjective zone.

I don't mind video challenges, especially considering the number of calls that are overturned.

The DH...meh.  I've always been an NL guy but recently I'm coming around to adding it to the NL.

I agree, eliminate interleague play.  Contract a couple of teams if that unbalances the schedule.

I disagree about tipping into the catcher's mitt being an out.  It should remain a foul ball.

I too would like to see the automatic walk eliminated, but I don't consider it that big a deal.  It does save a bit of time, but not enough to be significant.

I like the idea of adding Caribbean and Asian leagues to MLB, but I'd vote for actually adding some of those teams to MLB.  They're already defacto MLB farm systems, to a degree.

Not sure where I land on defensive indifference, but considering the dearth of stolen bases in the last few decades I'm not sure it makes any difference to anything.

No, please no automating home plate.  I'll have to give up my dreams of playing in the Super Scrub league

*Badger throws ball down the middle of the plate*

Auto voice: Ball!

*While at bat, badger watches pitch sale over the first base dugout*

Auto voice:  Strike!

Well, maybe most actual baseball players haven't bought Electronics as a Hunted.

17 hours ago, Armory said:

Yeah, you can get away with having a lack of team chemistry, but it tends to be the exception, not the rule   (in fact, most of those exceptions seemed to have been in the 1970s,  and whose roster had Reggie Jackson and/or Catfish Hunter)

Billy Martin is a curious case, a great manager, but whose tended to burn out teams in 2-3 years  (Funny, in one book I read about managers, the managerial style comparison of Martin, they went outside of sports altogether and compared it to Hernan Cortes. :lol: )

In any case, I've already mentioned one problem I have with intentional walks.  The TV annoouncers are freaking poor at even mentioning.  If you tuned in late and didn't catch the batting order, you might not even realize one was issued until a couple batters later.

On 8/10/2018 at 8:03 AM, Cancer said:

Also, today's news: Felix Hernandez has been taken out of the rotation and put in the bullpen.

22 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

It is sad to see King Felix put down his crown.  He was an astoundingly great pitcher, but time and age catch up to us all.

Indeed. He appears to have lost all the physical qualities that made him a great pitcher, for no other reason than the advance of time.

He is apparently taking his situation very hard. Of the 11 runs he gave up in his last start, four were unearned -- and because there was an extra inning game the night before he was in the game a lot longer than he normally would have been. That was the real humiliation.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Indeed. He appears to have lost all the physical qualities that made him a great pitcher, for no other reason than the advance of time.

He is apparently taking his situation very hard. Of the 11 runs he gave up in his last start, four were unearned -- and because there was an extra inning game the night before he was in the game a lot longer than he normally would have been. That was the real humiliation.

In his case, it's not even age thats the problem. It's that he basically has pitched more innings then anyone else in the 13(?) years he has been pitching. Seattle basically rode that horse every time he pitched then put it away without combing or brushing it.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, slikmar said:

One thing with video challenges, get rid of - the call stands - as a result. How many times have you watched a replay on tv, said, oh this should be overturned and it come back the call stands (not out or safe). I almost feel like no one actually looked at the play.

I will say the main thing I care about with replay is the time, if you are going to have it around.  If they cant decide in a minute and half, 2 minutes tops, it's too close to call, and just go with the original call.

We need to keep trash talking the Mariners, as they evidently just 4-game swept the Astros.  Last I checked the Astros had a semi-comfortable lead but not able to withstand sweep by divisional rival comfortable.  So, without looking the AL West all of a sudden might have a competition going on (silver medal gets a WC, and there is no bronze-barring Yank slippage*)

*which they really need to just hold up till September and get healthy.  Baltimore and Tampa probably shouldn't be competitive by then, and Toronto not really either.

Note: Did hear a youtube comment,  "if the Red Sox and Yankees meet in the playoffs, I'm pulling for the nuke"

2nd Note: I'd be pulling for the Yankees, but that says more about Boston being my least favorite AL team, and would only pull for Boston in the World Series if up against Giants (maybe a coin flip if Brewers)

Angels just brought up guy who is basically their best minor leaguer - Taylor Ward. Am I wrong, or is bringing him up, for a team that has no chance of making playoffs, 3 weeks before sept callups just mean we will lose a year of his eligibility (ie rookie and arbitration control)? Maybe I read it wrong. This seems stupid to me, but again, maybe I am wrong. Yes I want to see the guy and see if he can play in big leagues, but not if means we lose control a year early for and extra 14-15 game viewing.

The Angels making bad moves would not surprise me. They have perhaps the greatest position player of his generation in Mike Trout, and they can't keep him healthy (and they might not even be keeping him happy, which they need to do if they are to have any hope at all of contending in the near future).

If you're Mike Trout, two or three more years of losing while your prime starts to slip away is not where you want to spend your time. He's signed through 2020 for a total of $144 million, so if they want to keep him long-term they need to show they're willing to do what it takes to win now.

4 hours ago, slikmar said:

Angels just brought up guy who is basically their best minor leaguer - Taylor Ward. Am I wrong, or is bringing him up, for a team that has no chance of making playoffs, 3 weeks before sept callups just mean we will lose a year of his eligibility (ie rookie and arbitration control)? Maybe I read it wrong. This seems stupid to me, but again, maybe I am wrong. Yes I want to see the guy and see if he can play in big leagues, but not if means we lose control a year early for and extra 14-15 game viewing.

Good chance, he doesn't go over the rookie eligible numbers, at least

16 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The Angels making bad moves would not surprise me. They have perhaps the greatest position player of his generation in Mike Trout, and they can't keep him healthy (and they might not even be keeping him happy, which they need to do if they are to have any hope at all of contending in the near future).

If you're Mike Trout, two or three more years of losing while your prime starts to slip away is not where you want to spend your time. He's signed through 2020 for a total of $144 million, so if they want to keep him long-term they need to show they're willing to do what it takes to win now.

Problem for Angels has been revolving GMs. Reagins handicapped their minor leagues with bad trades and handicapped the pro club with bad contracts. DiPoto was fixing a lot of that stuff but couldn't get along with Scioscia and decided to bypass him, which was dumb when you had a clubhouse that had some very old school style mentalities (Pujols etc). Going straight to the clubhouse and players with coaching and player positioning information was stupid. Eppler is trying to fix stuff, but is under pressure due to the Trout contract. I think he has done well improving the minors and making the team viable in the future. Other problem is guys signed, coming here and not just underperforming their career numbers, but doing so badly. Most pundits at beginning of year with Cozart, Kinsler and Upton signings and supposed health of pitching staff actually predicted Angels to be where Oakland is in division right now, but injuries to their pitchers, mainly, have killed them and a bullpen that could not seem to hold a lead after the 6th inning doomed them. People can say  that part is their own fault (Pujols contract for instance, though again, an inherited contract for Eppler), but I don't care who you are, no one could have expected with the guys who seemed healthy that only 1 of the 6 starting rotation for them would be pitching at this point. And we have had 2-3 other starters come in and 2 weeks or less later - Tommy John surgery.

...and the Rockies have just completed their first four-games sweep in Atlanta in franchise history.

They've won 8 of ten against the best team in the NL and the two teams that were in the World Series last year.

It's a good time to be a Rockies fan.