Always On, or just always on?

Hugh Neilson

Question

OK, I am pretty sure I am right, but the recent Inherent discussions seem like they may confuse someone (or like I was already confused). 

As I read Inherent powers, they must be abilities the character cannot shut off (or, at GM's option, can only shut off with extreme strain, the example being enough END cost that shutting it off for more than a turn or so is not possible).

So, while I would question whether a character could take a -1/2 limitation on, say, Regeneration, or Spatial Awareness (Passive Sonar), for being Always On, on the basis it is not limiting for the power to be on at all times, he could certainly make the power "always on -0" and apply the Inherent advantage.  This seems consistent with the requirement to have the limitation "if applicable" and the use of "usually" in the Value headnote.

Is this correct, or am I  missing the  boat somewhere along the line?

1 answer to this question

No, that's not correct. For one thing, it's a legalistic interpretation that attempts to get around the rule, rather than actually following the rule in a way consistent with the rule's spirit. For another, even a -0 Limitation has to be in some trivial way a restriction or hindrance,  and that's still not the case here. (As usual, GMs with different opinions about the restrictiveness are free to rule otherwise for their campaigns.)