g3taso

Limiting and AoE Radius

EB 8d6, Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (80 Active Points)

In this case I'm modeling something like a grenade. I don't want to have a 4" radius, that's huge! I'd be happy with 2" radius.  I considered modeling the power with Explosion but the whole receding damage means it covers a huge area down.

How might I change this Energy Blast  to have an explosion/AoE that is 2" radius? I want that damage confined to a small area, taking out mooks rather than destroying a neighborhood. 

From the looks of it you are using 5th edition.  In 6th edition you can define the area to any size you want.  A 2” Area of Effect is now a +1/4 advantage so your 8d6 blast only cost 50 active points. 

I'd just apply a small limitation (-¼ probably) and say the area is smaller than usual.  But yes, 6th edition handles area effect much, much better than previous editions.  Its one of several changes I recommend people adapt to their games no matter what edition they play, if they don't want to go full 6th.

18 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

In fifth, I always considered area effect to be up to a maximum of the radius.  I would allow players to define the area effect.  I would charge an additional +1/4 if they wanted to vary the radius every time it was used.

I agree with you. My very first Champions character, whom I still play, had learned after over 700 hundred of XP to vary his AoE attack in its radius.