Has anyone read any good or interesting superhero fiction novels?

Shadow7

On 3/19/2018 at 2:32 PM, Cassandra said:

I have a book of superhero short stories using original characters.

One has an alien scientist who believes his planet is doomed, and sends his son to Earth.  Turns out his planet doesn't explode, and the son lands in the Soviet Union.  Raised in the Soviet System he obeys all laws to the point he turns himself in to spend decades in a Siberian Prison.

In another a Crime Fighter is put on trial by his fellow heroes for getting a child across a state line during a divorce case.

And another story has a hero with amnesia told he must go into a hopeless fight, the what he is told isn't everything he should know.

That wouldn't be called Superheroes would  it?

On 4/14/2018 at 2:18 AM, st barbara said:

I found Richard Roberts' series that begins with "Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm  A Supervillain" to be a fun read.

I found the series REALLY juvenile.  Even more so that Wearing the Cape, which reads like a teen romance novel.  I mean heck, the main characters are in junior high.  Not even high school.

I picked up the 4th book in the D-List Supervillain series.  I'll let you all know what I think.  

On 4/12/2018 at 5:38 PM, phydaux said:

Looks like the Wearing the Cape series just released book seven.  It can't be time travel AGAIN, can it?  Guess what?  It's time travel again...

That's sad.  I've read the first three and really liked them.  Books about actual superHeroes. 

H.E.R.O. was another series that started great, but has fallen off.

Most of the rest are unfunny and feable attempts at humour.  Or another crappy villain (or son/daughter of villain) on a sappy "shoot me in the head please" reform story. 

Lots of books/ebooks claiming to be superhero stories.  Very very very very few actual superhero stories. 

And please no more blah villian books. 

I'm a big fan of the Wearing the Cape series. And the new one is sort of time travel, sort of a "What if?" story. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's pretty satisfying in most ways.

Folks already mentioned "Devil's Cape," it's a good one.

"Black and White" and "Shades of Grey" by Caitlin Kittredge and Jackie Kessler were among my intros to superhero fiction.

Actually, I just remembered I wrote this a couple of years ago. Needless to say, some books have been added to the genre since, but it's a decent overview, if I say so myself.

https://theron.dreamwidth.org/31654.html

I'll second a bunch that have already been mentioned: the Ex-Heroes series, the Confessions of a D-List Supervillain series, Nobody Gets the Girl, and Soon I Will be Invincible are all really fun. Especially Ex-Heroes. That series is a just-one-more-chapter, hard-to-put-down, kind of read.

Several more that I haven't seen mentioned and very much enjoyed:

How to Succeed in Evil (funny and really excellent, there are a couple of sequels): https://www.amazon.com/How-Succeed-Evil-Patrick-McLean-ebook/dp/B00589W1DM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1524749842&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+succeed+in+evil

They Tell Me I'm the Bad Guy (thematically somewhat similar to Confessions of a D-List Supervillain, but darker): https://www.amazon.com/They-Tell-Me-Bad-Guy-ebook/dp/B0064S8ATK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1524749892&sr=1-1&keywords=they+tell+me+I'm+the+bad+guy

Super-Powereds (this series is more young adult and the editing/grammar leaves a lot to be desired, but still an engaging read): https://www.amazon.com/Super-Powereds-Year-Drew-Hayes-ebook/dp/B00BIJ05F2/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1524750104&sr=1-2&keywords=superpowereds

On 4/16/2018 at 4:11 PM, phydaux said:

Spence, look into the West Pacific Supers series.  It's decent. Only problem is it's only 2 books so far, with a third book coming "soon."

On 4/16/2018 at 7:20 PM, Spence said:

I grabbed a kindle copy.  It is #3 in the queue...

So I read them.  Surprisingly they were good reads and managed to not be about misunderstood villains. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, patransom said:

Super-Powereds (this series is more young adult and the editing/grammar leaves a lot to be desired, but still an engaging read)

Resurrecting this thread to tout this.  I'm half way through Year 3, and I'll polish off Corpies before I read Year 4.