grandmastergm

Who should be the villain in an African Champions game?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the villain in an African Champions game?

• Joseph Otanga
    • The Living Sphinx
    • The Warlord
    • VIPER
    • Dr. Destroyer

2 hours ago, dsatow said:

Sounds more like an artificer.  Basically a magical gadgeteer.

Prehaps. Or you could break a 'tree limb" to reveal metal, plastic, and wires.

One of the most presistant sterotype about Africa is that there are still pockets of area where people still live a hunter-gather lifestyle, with no tech stronger than a pointed stick, and no knowledge of things like cars, plains, toilet paper, ect, ect, ect. In reality, the various African countries are as much high tech as the rest of the world. It is just, in who's hands are this technology.

The previously-mentioned Ironhorn wields gauntlet-mounted blasters "designed by his brilliant cousin Bantu Mvave" (CWW p. 163). The revolutionary group they belong to, the Pan-African Brotherhood, is currently focused primarily on overthrowing the South African government, but also aspires to export revolution to the rest of the continent. Ironhorn himself is said to sometimes take jobs outside the country to raise funds for the PAB. I could easily see the PAB selling weapons based on Mvave's designs to would-be revolutionaries in Africa, or to criminals or even governments in exchange for cash (which would match one plot point in the Black Panther movie).

For the benefit of GMGM -- and anyone else reading this thread who might want to set adventures in CU Africa -- I'd like to outline the adventure potential of Central Africa, by bringing up points scattered across several books (and thus easily overlooked) that could be connected in interesting ways, particularly given the characters GMGM is thinking of using. For reasons stated in one of my previous posts I'll put this new information in Spoilers.

Lurranga is another CU fictional African country, one which receives only passing mention. Champions Universe merely notes on p. 80 that it's "heavily involved in the drug trade and other forms of transnational crime, and sometimes thus attract the attention of foreign supers." In the map of CU Africa on p. 90 of Champions Worldwide Lurranga is shown to be a long narrow territory sandwiched between the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, but otherwise isn't even mentioned.

P. 115 of Book Of The Destroyer reveals that the Vice President of Lurranga is secretly an informant in the pay of Dr. Destroyer, although probably not knowingly -- Destroyer's agents lead most of his informants to believe they're providing assistance to organized crime, rival nations, or the like. While conflicts on the continent always keep the Warlord busy, Champions Universe: News Of The World p. 102 notes that his Shadow Army have been particularly active in Central Africa.

The Mystic World p. 51 is the only source to briefly describe the Magambo: "This family or cult came to the attention of the Mystic World only recently, but it appears to have spread throughout Central Africa, especially the eastern Congo region. The local people fear the Magambo as witches who foster the horrific warfare and brigandage afflicting the region, and gain power from it. Outside investigators do not yet know if the Magambo are demon-worshipers, necromancers, vampires, or some combination, but their power seems to grow at an alarming rate. Their name gives no clue: it's an ordinary Central African family name, with no ominous meaning."

I was recently reminded of this Champions adventure by our esteemed Scott Bennie, published in Digital Hero:

AND THERE WAS BLOOD EVERYWHERE!: A giant blur on the satellite photo of Africa leads to unthinkable horrors for your Champions team. DH 24, PAGE 12

An especially brutal civil war in a fictional (but all-too realistic) African nation has awakened malevolent spirits which grow stronger as they feed on suffering. They manifest as an enormous "cloud" made up of possessed biting flies, and human corpses animated like zombies by the flies. The cloud has a measure of sentience and an active will to harm, and to grow and spread. A few other local supers are also included in the mix.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:07 PM, Lord Liaden said:

I was recently reminded of this Champions adventure by our esteemed Scott Bennie, published in Digital Hero:

AND THERE WAS BLOOD EVERYWHERE!: A giant blur on the satellite photo of Africa leads to unthinkable horrors for your Champions team. DH 24, PAGE 12

Reveal hidden contents

An especially brutal civil war in a fictional (but all-too realistic) African nation has awakened malevolent spirits which grow stronger as they feed on suffering. They manifest as an enormous "cloud" made up of possessed biting flies, and human corpses animated like zombies by the flies. The cloud has a measure of sentience and an active will to harm, and to grow and spread. A few other local supers are also included in the mix.

I download the adventure.  I like it, and I think I could use some of it for an adventure.  Thank you Lord Liaden.

Are there are any African superheroes from the Digital Hero books?  

Just curious as I need one more.  I'm thinking that I will do a female gadgeteer (I changed Pridemaster back to male).

1 hour ago, grandmastergm said:

I download the adventure.  I like it, and I think I could use some of it for an adventure.  Thank you Lord Liaden.

Are there are any African superheroes from the Digital Hero books?  

Just curious as I need one more.  I'm thinking that I will do a female gadgeteer (I changed Pridemaster back to male).

Ah...so maybe my idea of a quasi-artifactor who is not an artifactor at all might be used.

As for already published characters, as far as I can remember, there is none. But it shouldn't be too hard to take an official gadgeteer character like Utility, widdle his points down, toss him into Jusinkyo, put "her" in black face, and have your gadgeteer.

• 3 weeks later...

I found some info in UNTIL: Defenders Of Freedom that you might be able to utilize. This is from p. 48:

"UNTIL has fewer agents posted to Africa than to any other region of the world -- which only makes sense, considering that Africa has less supervillain activity than any other inhabited continent. Still, supervillains do become involved in ethnic conflicts, governmental corruption, and crimes such as robbing diamond exchanges, so UNTIL must be there. On occasion UNTIL has assisted with UN-directed efforts to relieve famine and other African natural disasters. During slow periods UNTIL may volunteer an agent or two to act as guards for important African scientific expeditions.

UNTIL maintains its African Regional Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. It has Regional Bases in Cairo, Capetown, Casablanca, and Lagos. The Regional Commander, Fulani Okonkwo of Nigeria, is the only African female to ever rise above the rank of Captain in the history of UNTIL, a distinction which clearly indicates her competence and skill. A "hands-on" sort of administrator, she spends a lot of time shuttling back and forth between the various Regional Bases."

If you're interested in a female team member, Fulani Okonkwo might be "hands-on" enough to get involved. And UNTIL has plenty of high-tech toys in its box, which I'm sure a Regional Commander would have access to.