Introducing players to Champions at a mini-con

sentry0

4 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

So far so good.  How it displays combat, powers and framework info is the real trick. Especially if there's common modifiers and Notes included like the example character you used. ;)

Here's p2 of the print preview...it has the start of the extensive list you made for Clark.

simple-export-template-p2.png

7 minutes ago, Hyper-Man said:

First thing you will want to do is find the HD setting/preference to hide common modifiers on powers when inside a List or Framework and that will remove the redundant Kryptonite and red solar entries. That should clean up a LOT of clutter.

Nice, I didn't know such a thing existed...that made a big difference.

I added in complications to the first screen too...equipment is next then I think it's almost done.

simple-export-template.png

7 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

Nice, I didn't know such a thing existed...that made a big difference.

I added in complications to the first screen too...equipment is next then I think it's almost done.

simple-export-template.png

Nice.

If you really want to test it I would also try my John Wick build as well.

1 minute ago, Hyper-Man said:

Good luck. I am going sleep if I can. I've been up on steroids to prevent brain swelling and I'm ready to pass out if I can just shut down my brain.

Thanks for your help...get some rest :)

Since I am a little late to this party, I just quickly skimmed through the posts.  So if I am repeating anything, just ignore it.

1) I would suggest you make two more characters than people who will play.  Its really lousy and sours the game when you are the last to choose and you are stuck with the character no one wants.

2) Leave about 15 points unassigned to the character, then when they have chosen their characters ask them to describe the characters then use the reserve points to give them the skills or abilities.  For example, maybe someone's a judo aficionado.  Give them breakfall and Judo maneuvers.

3) Make a simple die chart for rolling to hit.  It can be blank and let them fill in the appropriate numbers.  ie: an 11 = OCV, a 12 = OCV-1, etc.

4) Give them no more than 1 or 2 combat levels if any at all.

4 minutes ago, dsatow said:

Since I am a little late to this party, I just quickly skimmed through the posts.  So if I am repeating anything, just ignore it.

1) I would suggest you make two more characters than people who will play.  Its really lousy and sours the game when you are the last to choose and you are stuck with the character no one wants.

2) Leave about 15 points unassigned to the character, then when they have chosen their characters ask them to describe the characters then use the reserve points to give them the skills or abilities.  For example, maybe someone's a judo aficionado.  Give them breakfall and Judo maneuvers.

3) Make a simple die chart for rolling to hit.  It can be blank and let them fill in the appropriate numbers.  ie: an 11 = OCV, a 12 = OCV-1, etc.

4) Give them no more than 1 or 2 combat levels if any at all.

Those are good ideas...I'm always up for building a character too :)

Thank

58 minutes ago, assault said:

How complicated a character would you want to use for a Con game?

For example, Hyper-Man's Superman is a very fine print heavy character - not one you can easily sit down and play.

Designing a sheet to display simpler characters is, obviously, simpler.

Thank you for mentioning that. Most of my posted builds have been responses to the old challenge that recognizable versions of certain characters could not be built on starting points (superman and batman are at least 1000 point characters...). They were never intended to be used to introduce the system to new players. Without proper grounding beforehand they could even encourage undesirable munchkin behavior.  I often referred to their links though because I have already solved a particular problem a new poster asks and reinventing the with a direct new answer seems tedious when I can just post a link.  

That's also the reason I linked to JmOz's page of generic builds because they were expressly intended to be used by new players to learn Hero.

8 hours ago, assault said:

How complicated a character would you want to use for a Con game?

For example, Hyper-Man's Superman is a very fine print heavy character - not one you can easily sit down and play.

Designing a sheet to display simpler characters is, obviously, simpler.

That's true...I like to use the characters Hyper-Man builds while testing because they're complicated and on the extreme end in terms of content.

The characters I'm using at the mini-con are much more simple and fit on a page and half :)

15 hours ago, sentry0 said:

I just posted the 1.0.0 version of the export template :)

http://www.herogames.com/forums/files/file/452-6e-simple-export-template/

I finally dove into cranking up my laptop and doing tons of updates with my one good hand.  I like the Frankenstein way you're picking the best features from several different exports.  The END costs probably need a column label added to make sense.  Martial Arts need cleanup and are one area I recommend doubling up with the standard maneuvers as well as their standard cost listing so players can see ALL their options in one place. 

Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

I finally dove into cranking up my laptop and doing tons of updates with my one good hand.  I like the Frankenstein way you're picking the best features from several different exports.  The END costs probably need a column label added to make sense.  Martial Arts need cleanup and are one area I recommend doubling up with the standard maneuvers as well as their standard cost listing so players can see ALL their options in one place. 

Keep up the good work!

Alright, looks like the MA section had a display bug with lists that I cleaned up and I added in labels for the powers section.  It begs the question should I add labels on other sections....have to play with it a bit more I guess to see what I think.

While I don't disagree with your rationale on the Combat Maneuvers list I don't like adding in the MA into the Combat moves list for 2 reasons:

1. It can push that column out potentially a lot and make a big gap in the template (see where my mouse cursor is pointing in the attached image)
  2. It is violating my DRY principle by having the same info in 2 places

I think the compromise here is to move the Martial Arts section up so it appears right under the maneuvers list??? 

simple-export-combat-moves.png

posting on both threads...

Wow. The latest updates look great on the iPhone and PC.

tested with Clark, Barry and John.

2 minor issues:

1) I built Lightning Reflexes as a power instead of talent so its secondary value would appear in the characteristcs block. I also set modifiers to not affect base characteristics.  I think that should keep skill rolls from displaying the invalid 2nd roll value. Otherwise it would be an export specific change needed.

2) The Notes feature is needed or needs a hard break added in some places.

Thanks for all the hard work.