How would you build a ghostly Girlfriend?

Pizza Man

I posted this pic on the Sunny Place thread, about a ghost that follows the heroes home.  and it got me thinking. I'm not talking about a DNPC, but rather a follower.  The ghost would have to be able to provide enough...benefits to justify keeping the relationship going (mere eye candy only lasts so long). and certainly the ghost cannot drain/feed off of her love if she is going to keep him. 

I'm thinking that the automaton powers won't really apply in this case, and they generally make a follower too expensive to purchase.

How would you make a ghost girlfriend? I'm kinda stumped with this one.

2i0sku9.jpg

What is the ghost going to provide.  There are all kinds of things you might do.  What I might do is create the ghost by generating a naked power, clairsentience, usable by others, requires a roll (conversation), physical manifestation.

That generates a thing that you need to engage in conversation to get information about something.  You could quite easily build the ghost to do lots of things that are represented by powers...

My Girlfriend, the Ghost:  (Total: 16 Active Cost, 2 Real Cost) Mental Illusions 1d6, Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Cumulative (96 points; +1 1/2) (16 Active Points); Self Only (-1), Mandatory Effect EGO +30 or Greater (Must Always Achieve [Particular Effect]; -1), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1)(Illusions not under character's control, acts like it has a mind of its own), Always On (-1/2), Perceivable (-1/2)(dropping Perceivable makes it an "imaginary friend" no one else can see- can be replaced with SIde Effects: People make fun of you), No Range (-1/2), Depends on Character's Knowledge (-1/2)(Doesn't know anything the character doesn't already know), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4) (Among other things, can be temporarily dispelled by exorcism or psychotherapy) (Real Cost: 2)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests the even cheaper option: A Complication

H(a)unted:  My Girlfriend, the Ghost Very Frequently (Less Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

A ghostly girlfriend, you can look but can’t touch.

But still have to buy things for.

"I don't understand why we had to come here."

"It's date night."

"But why are we at a restaurant?"

"We're a couple.  Couples go out to dinner together."

"But you don't eat!"

"I don't see what that has to do with anything."

"Why did you order a dinner if you can't eat?"

"Now you're just being mean."

"You ordered STEAK and LOBSTER!"

How would I build a ghostly girlfriend?  Well first, she'd have red hair....

No seriously, an idea to look into is to make her a set of skills and abilities with no conscious control and indirect etc on it so it simulates another person under the GM's control.  After all, if she's just going to be a source of information or manipulating small objects you can use telekinesis, cramming, knowledge skills, clairvoyance, etc to simulate that effect.

7 hours ago, phydaux said:

But still have to buy things for.

"I don't understand why we had to come here."

"It's date night."

"But why are we at a restaurant?"

"We're a couple.  Couples go out to dinner together."

"But you don't eat!"

"I don't see what that has to do with anything."

"Why did you order a dinner if you can't eat?"

"Now you're just being mean."

"You ordered STEAK and LOBSTER!"

H(a)unted:  My Girlfriend, the Ghost Very Frequently (Less Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Mildly Punish (costs money))

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests an option that works out to zero -

Dependent NPC:  My Girlfriend, the Ghost Frequently (As powerful as the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

- but it seems pointless

15 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

What is the ghost going to provide.  There are all kinds of things you might do.  

I agree with this question.  Also, will the ghost be able to follow the character around, interact with the physical world?  Will others be able to detect the ghost?  At the basic level, this would be a good excuse for the character to acquire skills, talents, and other abilities that are outside his normal concept and design.  Imagine how good a security system she would be - someone entered the designed area and (on the appropriate roll) she returned and let's him know all the details the the GM thinks that the character should get.  The character does not need to have security systems, clairistence, or anything else that would lend itself to this ability - they are all a result of the ghost spying on the area and telling him what is going on.

I was thinking something more like this:  she ends up at 355 points,,,or a 71 point follower.  She is a lot more expensive than I thought.

click the link to see the PDF file. and like I said I do not see her as a complication. I also gave her solidification for 1 charge of 6 hours because you cannot maintain a relationship with just visual stimuli.

Ghost.pdf

13 hours ago, steriaca said:

Sounds like the beginnings of a harem anime/manga. We have special girlfriend #1 (Ghost Girlfriend). All we need is a few more odd girlfriends and we have a "Tenchi".

Nah, with Tenchi, all the girlfriends have the power to destroy the Earth.  Way beyond the power level of the game. :)

9 minutes ago, dsatow said:

Nah, with Tenchi, all the girlfriends have the power to destroy the Earth.  Way beyond the power level of the game. :)

Learned in a WatchMojo video that Tenchi himself has the power to destroy the Earth when he becomes Kami Tenchi. Forcently for us, he rairly enters that mode.

X amount of Luck visible effect
X amount of Combat Luck visible effect

My girlfriend the ghost:  Change Environment (+1 Points of Telekinetic STR, +1 Wind Levels, -2 Temperature Level Adjustment, -4 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll, Long-Lasting 1 Turn, Stunning), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points 26 Real Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (vs Pre not Con; -0)

4 hours ago, steriaca said:

Learned in a WatchMojo video that Tenchi himself has the power to destroy the Earth when he becomes Kami Tenchi. Forcently for us, he rairly enters that mode.

I only watched the first couple of series, so.

But, all the girlfriends need to be crazy.

6 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

I got yer Ghostly Girlfriend right here--

Actually, this would fit quite well with steriaca's build.

I didn't build it. I only recommend powers for one, assuming that she would be a separate character than the hero.

Yeah, Beast has the kind of build I'd lean toward, instead of an NPC or a separate build, a set of powers the GM controls and which act outside the characters volition.  Define their special effect as "ghost girlfriend" and you're set with a pretty inexpensive but interesting and useful concept.