Removing the free Post Phase 12 Recovery

MrAgdesh

4 hours ago, Lucius said:

The only reason I can think of is to speed up combat by ensuring people go down faster and stay down.

Lucius Alexander

Or to feed it to a palindromedary

Yes, that's it. Just looking at a variety of options. This is something that I've thought of, along with the obvious limiting of Speed. Wondered if anybody might have tried it and if so what conclusions they reached. We haven't even tried it in a trial combat yet.

24 minutes ago, MrAgdesh said:

Yes, that's it. Just looking at a variety of options. This is something that I've thought of, along with the obvious limiting of Speed. Wondered if anybody might have tried it and if so what conclusions they reached. We haven't even tried it in a trial combat yet.

Mooks and named villains alike don't get recoveries in my games.

I'd rather a player be given the chance to get back on their feet than sit idle while everyone else is having fun.  

I've seen it done by several GMs.  It doesn't affect the game too much unless there is a surprise phase where the villains get a free action.  On the other hand, the bricks generally don't do push haymakers on the first phase of combat either.

Personally, I still have the free post 12 mainly because if I surprise my players and they aren't able to react fast enough, the recovery blunts the blow.

1 minute ago, dsatow said:

I've seen it done by several GMs.  It doesn't affect the game too much unless there is a surprise phase where the villains get a free action.  On the other hand, the bricks generally don't do push haymakers on the first phase of combat either.

Personally, I still have the free post 12 mainly because if I surprise my players and they aren't able to react fast enough, the recovery blunts the blow.

Oops, I misunderstood the thread.  I thought it was about the first post 12 recovery.  My bad.

Removing this element slows the game down a bit, as you'll find players will (at least attempt) to get a Recovery Action in during the Turn to make up for it. It's not a horrible game changer to do so, but it can frustrate players.

Will need to either keep the "Post-12 Only" for negative stun level, or find a replacement, however.

Marathon - Best in the Long Run:  (Total: 9 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost)  (9 Active Points); 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (+1/4) applied to Running X4 Noncombat (Real Cost: 9)

Lucius Alexander

Rejoice, cried the palindromedary

On 4/2/2018 at 4:40 PM, dsatow said:

Doesn't this mean technically, while in the middle of driving a vehicle, you will need to take a recovery? (assuming driving uses 1 end).

The vehicle itself is probably built with Continuous or Fuel Charges. The driver could possibly just 'coast' the vehicle for a turn (no turning, no maneuvers, just straight ahead), or deal with issues of slowly wearing themselves down as they drive through combat... Even at 1END/Phase they could probably last through your average Combat length easily.

23 hours ago, Beast said:

How would you do a marathon runner
I see a lot of movement and continous/constant powers getting costs end to start up

Marathon runners would use Long Term Endurance, which is END Loss based on END Used vs REC Stat, and has no Post-12 factors, they would be uneffected.

29 minutes ago, ghost-angel said:

Marathon runners would use Long Term Endurance, which is END Loss based on END Used vs REC Stat, and has no Post-12 factors, they would be uneffected. 

That only works as long as there is no combat
running and dodging are going to burn end

REC complicates things in some ways, but allows you to build a Wolverine or Hulk like character who recovers incredibly quickly.  I would not remove the PS12 recovery but I would and do make it take longer when you are unconscious - nothing is sillier than knocking the brick out only for him to spring up again next phase.  Doesn't happen in the funny papers, why should it here?

If you WANT to be able to bounce back from unconsciousness you can buy healing triggered by going unconscious.

Second (Third, Fourth, etc.) Wind:  (Total: 45 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Healing END & STUN 1d6+1 (standard effect: 4 points), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Misfire, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Every segment 12; +1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power Self Only (-1), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 20)

While conscious, regain up to 8 pts of lost STUN and up to 20 lost END each Turn.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks that's one way to recover having a RECovery

15 hours ago, Sean Waters said:

REC complicates things in some ways, but allows you to build a Wolverine or Hulk like character who recovers incredibly quickly.  I would not remove the PS12 recovery but I would and do make it take longer when you are unconscious - nothing is sillier than knocking the brick out only for him to spring up again next phase.  Doesn't happen in the funny papers, why should it here?

Not germane to the main discussion, but a Brick reduced to, say, -5 STUN is KO'd, but not knocked down.  This is consistent (and consistently ignored) across editions.

If a character is only barely Knocked Out  (down to -10 STUN), he’s not completely unconscious — in fact, it’s more like he’s deeply Stunned. Depending upon the character and the nature of the attack, he may even be on his feet, wobbly but still standing, as he tries to shake off the effects of the attack. He’s dimly aware of what’s going on around him, but is too woozy and dazed to take any action or maintain any power. He can make a PER Roll to perceive something really important, but otherwise he cannot interact with the world. He can’t move, Dodge, take any Actions, or do anything but take Recoveries.

Following this, from 6e v2 p 106, also alleviates the "hit him again when he is down" issue.  If he is actually down, he is at best recovering per turn.  If hit while he is reeling, he is taking double STUN - not too many will be back up in the combat in that case.