Images - Danger Sense

g3taso

The idea is to use Images to set off someone's danger sense as a form of intimidation. You might consider it an alternate mechanic for intimidation Presence attacks. I figure I could cast it on another (or me), and that figure exudes an almost palpable aura of menace whether subtle or overt, and others get the immediate impression that to disappoint  would be a VERY bad idea, even if I am not doing anything threatening.

Danger Sense Group Images 1" radius, +/-4 to PER Rolls (17 Active Points).  Naturally, the PER rolls would let people recognize it or not.

Is the idea viable?  Could it be expanded to include people without Danger Sense? Perhaps Usable as an Attack?

The core problem is that you are attempting to target a meta game effect.  Danger Sense is not usually associated with a particular Sense Group and that's where you have to start when using Images. I don't believe the 'unusual group' is a valid target. But I may be wrong. I suggest rereading the sense & DS rules again and possibly even posting a rules forum question for Steve to weigh in on if others don't come upon a better answer than me. ;)

You Sense Danger. (Yes, even if you don't have Danger Sense.):  (Total: 18 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) +3/+3d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters), Usable By Other (+0), Grantor can take back power at any time, Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Recipient must remain within Line of Sight of Grantor, Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to [two Sense Groups]; visible to Danger Sense +1) (18 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 14)

Enables someone to intimidate without doing or saying anything intimidating. Characters with Danger Sense will sense danger. All others are impressed but don't know what is making them so nervous.

Lucius Alexander

Sense Palindromedary

Danger Sense Group Images 1" radius, +/-4 to PER Rolls (17 Active Points).  Naturally, the PER rolls would let people recognize it or not.

Is the idea viable?  Could it be expanded to include people without Danger Sense? Perhaps Usable as an Attack?

Yeah, that's a good build.  Like all talents, Danger Sense is built in the back of the book (as a detect) on page 447 of HSG1: 

Danger Sense: Base ability is Detect Danger Detectable By Normal Human Senses In Combat, Including Range To Danger (etc)

and you can target that perception roll with a change environment.  It would not always succeed, but it would definitely make people with danger sense take notice very easily.  I personally like this kind of thing, targeting unusual senses, especially with images and illusions.  Players tend to question things suddenly popping up in their normal senses, but if they show up in special senses, they tend to buy it right away: my powers detected this!!

19 hours ago, Hyper-Man said:

The core problem is that you are attempting to target a meta game effect.  Danger Sense is not usually associated with a particular Sense Group and that's where you have to start when using Images. I don't believe the 'unusual group' is a valid target. But I may be wrong. I suggest rereading the sense & DS rules again and possibly even posting a rules forum question for Steve to weigh in on if others don't come upon a better answer than me. ;)

Well according to Hero Designer 6, while not a group, it can be targeted as a single sense.  So it can be done as Images Mental Group and Danger Sense +/- 4 for 20 points.

You could use both the images to danger sense and the striking appearance in a compound power.  The striking appearance is probably the best way to do the intimidation.  By itself the images will only affect a small number of targets.  If you don’t have danger sense images vs danger sense are useless.  You could buy danger sense UAA, but that is going to be incredibly expensive.  You would need to purchase danger sense as a sense, any danger, at range, UAAt which would come to 74 active points in addition to the images. 

Purchasing the images to danger sense is going to make sure that anyone with danger sense takes the character seriously.  Most characters with danger sense are going to really pay attention when it is triggered.  By combining these powers you cover affect both people with danger sense as well as those without it.  The images vs danger sense will mean that those that have danger sense will not be able to simply ignore the threat.  They will probably be more affected by the power than those that do not have danger sense. 

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, LoneWolf said:

You could use both the images to danger sense and the striking appearance in a compound power.  The striking appearance is probably the best way to do the intimidation.  By itself the images will only affect a small number of targets.  If you don’t have danger sense images vs danger sense are useless.  You could buy danger sense UAA, but that is going to be incredibly expensive.  You would need to purchase danger sense as a sense, any danger, at range, UAAt which would come to 74 active points in addition to the images. 

Purchasing the images to danger sense is going to make sure that anyone with danger sense takes the character seriously.  Most characters with danger sense are going to really pay attention when it is triggered.  By combining these powers you cover affect both people with danger sense as well as those without it.  The images vs danger sense will mean that those that have danger sense will not be able to simply ignore the threat.  They will probably be more affected by the power than those that do not have danger sense. 

Given that the Striking Appearance is ALREADY defined as "Visible" to Danger Sense, I'm not sure what adding Images on top of it gets you.

Seems to me like buying Conversation and then Linking Images to Sound to make sure you're heard.

Lucius Alexander

Or buying Summon Palindromedary and then Images of a palindromedary to make sure people see it.

Striking appearance is simply a bonus to interaction skills and presence attacks.  Someone with a danger sense should still get a roll to see if they are actually in danger, especially if they bought it as any danger.  When a danger sense is capable of detecting danger when none of the characters other sense are operational, being “Visible” is meaningless.

Images to danger sense would allow a false positive.  Someone with danger sense can use it as a way to check to see if something really is a threat.  Images to danger sense means the character with danger sense would perceive the threat to be real, even if it is not

• 2 months later...

I don't see a problem with the concept.  Though I wouldn't let it be perceived by characters without the appropriate sense.

This is an effective weapon against Spider-Man or someone else with Danger Sense, but against the vast majority of characters, Images to Danger Sense it just a waste of points.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BeerFest said:

I love the build to trigger Danger Sense.

My question is what is HSG1?

Hero System Grimoire?

HS (Player) Guide?

I am interested because I would like to build a limited Danger Sense from scratch.

Cheers ?

I think he meant 6e1, it's on page 447.

- E