Held Actions and "Who Goes First?"

MrAgdesh

Question

If you dispense with the DEX roll at simultaneous DEX’s and institute some other priority system, e.g., Held Actions, does this also negate the ability to Abort that accompanies the usual simultaneous DEX roll rule?

E.g.

Two characters, Player 1 is Speed 4, Dex 15. Player 2 is Speed 3 Dex 14

On phase 3, Player 1 attempts to hit player 2, who announces an Abort to a Dodge.

On phase 6, Player 1 Holds his action; “I wait until he stops dodging”

On Phase 8, at Dex 14, when player 2 would act (and therefore stop Dodging) , Player 1 decides to strike again.

Rather than commit to Dex rolls, the GM rules that the Held Action has priority.  

Does this mean that Player 2’s Dodge Bonus has ended? They’re at DEX 14 but player 2 hasn’t acted yet. I presume so, or there would be no point in Player 1 saying “I wait until he stops Dodging”

At this point is player 2 unable to Abort?

1 answer to this question

The modifiers from a Combat Maneuver last until the beginning of the character's next Phase (6E2 54). A character's Phase begins when his DEX occurs in a Segment when he has a Phase (6E2 16). So in the situation you describe, P2's DCV bonus from Dodge ends on DEX 14 in Segment 8.

However, since P2 now has a Phase available, he could immediately declare another Abort to Dodge. Since an Abort occurs before offensive actions, in theory P2 can keep on Dodging, forcing P1 to go on Holding as he waits for his declared condition to occur. Eventually, I suspect P1 will just abandon his Held Phase and attack normally, but he may be more patient than that -- and depending on the situation, keeping P2 "locked down" in Dodges, unable to do anything else, may have significant tactical value.