How to: Mud breath weapon.

Ragitsu

Simply put, i'm interested to see all the effects mud has in the HERO when it is basis of a breath weapon.

Here is what immediately comes to mind ->

* Extinguishes non-magical fires.

* Temporarily blinds those struck in their eyes. For that matter, it can also blind viewports and windows.

* Creates a slippery surface if said surface is lightly coated.

* Creates a weakly adhesive surface if said surface is thickly coated.

* Pushes objects/beings back (as a water cannon would) if the breath weapon is "redlined".

* Spontaneously generates circular pseudo-pastries.

What else might such an ability be able to do?

2 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

EB 5d6 NND [LS: Self Contained] (+1)

Mud suffocates the victim by cutting off their air.

I thought of a suffocation side-effect, but wasn't certain if it would require a boatload of modifiers (particularly, the requirement for a confined space) in order to achieve the desired effect.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

I thought of a suffocation side-effect, but wasn't certain if it would require a boatload of modifiers (particularly, the requirement for a confined space) in order to achieve the desired effect.

No Necessarily.  It could be a short term attack that while causing STUN damage mostly from shock, it's not persistent and not fatal.

I agree with all of the above ideas of what being caught in a flood of mud might cause, but from a Hero System standpoint I don't know if a standard Breath Weapon would normally cause any of those. Maybe if it was built with a few Linked Change Environment powers it would get those effects, but as a standard Attack I don't think it would as that is too much "free" effects for an EB Attack. 

Because if that was the case then other Breath Weapons would also have many additional (and similar) effects, but we don't see that in any example powers that I've been able to uncover (I just flipped through The Book of Dragons to see how they were built).

For example, a Fire Breath weapon could/should also burn off people's clothing and causing all their gear to fall to the ground, hair to be burnt off (leaving the character bald), water and potions to boil away, metal to melt, swords and armor being too hot to hold or causing ongoing damage until removed. The air would also be super hot so it would cause damage to breathe, smoke and heat would obscure vision (if the character could even keep their eyes open from the heat), etc...

An Icy Breath weapon would also cause slippery surfaces, damage to breathe, metal being to cold to touch/use, water and potions to freeze, etc...

But none of those are listed as effects of any of the Breath Weapons that the dragons in the book have, because in Hero an Attack is an Attack, and the look/feel of it is a special effect that should add color and flavor to the game, but should only have minimal in game consequences. Any other effects need(should) be built as separate powers.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, Ragitsu said:

Simply put, i'm interested to see all the effects mud has in the HERO when it is basis of a breath weapon.

Here is what immediately comes to mind ->

* Extinguishes non-magical fires.

* Temporarily blinds those struck in their eyes. For that matter, it can also blind viewports and windows.

* Creates a slippery surface if said surface is lightly coated.

* Creates a weakly adhesive surface if said surface is thickly coated.

* Pushes objects/beings back (as a water cannon would) if the breath weapon is "redlined".

* Spontaneously generates circular pseudo-pastries.

What else might such an ability be able to do?

These are all great suggestions but don't forget mud baths do wonder for the skin of elderly ladies foliating their pores and such so you can have the mud bath add one to five levels of striking appearance (beuty) and even ugliness as well (form the smell if you like)