Skill Calculation (Combat Skills and Combat Values)

Luthervian

Hi.

In the advanced player guide (2?), the option for combat skills is touched upon. One possible option is to have a combat skill, say "Swords" and have it based off of something, such as "8+OCV".

I'm editing my skills in a character template. If i just set the CHARACTERISTIC to "OCV" it is using the default 8 + (Char/5) formula. Is there a way for me to call a different calculation (8+OCV) here instead?

Thank you!

You can create a custom Characteristic that bases its value off of other Characteristics, but not one that bases it off of itself (obviously)....which is what it sounds like you're looking to do. 

Combat Skills are best handled via Combat Skill Levels (on the Skills tab).

I am specifically trying to use the Combat Skills System from APG II, (starting on page 56). Because these do not mirror CSLs, it isn't the route i want to go.

Page 57, right sidebar "Keeping Combat Value" discusses using OCV, DCV, and OMCV as characteristics (i.e. 8 + OCV).

Edited by Luthervian
typed page 45 instead of 56

I shall endeavor to explain further:

Say I have a "Directed Spell" skill, which reflects a mage's ability to blast a foe with a lightning bolt from afar and am using the system quoted in APG II and the sidebar. While other skills such as Acrobatics uses DEX to calculate (8 + DEX/5), I wish to use OCV as the characteristic used in the Directed Spell calculation. BUT 8 + (OCV/5) won't cut it. I need 8 + OCV.

'Im hoping this helps a bit.

You can specify other Characteristics to base a Skill off of, but all Characteristic-based Skills/rolls will use the same formula (which you can also set in the campaign rules).  By default, it's 9+CHAR/5 (regardless of which Characteristic is chosen).  If you change that, it will affect all Skill rolls, not just those based off of OCV.