Are we too hard on Wil Wheaton?

Cassandra

7 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Wheaton himself is kind of a putz like most actors, but his character on Next Generation was no more annoying to me than most of the others.  At least, unlike most of the crew, he was relatively competent.

From what I've seen of Wheaton himself, he seems like a pretty cool guy.  His TNG character was problematic, starting with "Why is a teenager helming a trillion dollar starship on the fringes of known space?"

Then again the U.S. Navy hasn't been doing much better lately.

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

From what I've seen of Wheaton himself, he seems like a pretty cool guy.  His TNG character was problematic, starting with "Why is a teenager helming a trillion dollar starship on the fringes of known space?"

Then again the U.S. Navy hasn't been doing much better lately.

Well, I doubt the US Navy is helming a trillion dollar starship on the fringes of known space.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary however says I might be surprised.

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

Good thing since they can't even navigate the South China Sea without bouncing off a container ship or two.

They're not letting Wil Wheaton steer are they?

Lucius Alexander

Air Force Surplus Palindromedary

Wil Wheaton has freely acknowledged that the character of Wesley Crusher was a problem as all child characters on TV can be.

He has somewhat gleefully spoofed his own character on The Big Bang Theory being sometimes obnoxious and sometimes helpful. The whole 'Wil Wheaton is the arch enemy of Sheldon Cooper' arc in the Big Bang Theory is a whole lot of laughs.

At the European GenCon in the early 90s there was a charity collection during which they would destroy by burning the Magic the Gathering Black Lotus card and the Wesley Crusher Star Trek the Next Generation card. Someone tried to save the Wesley card saying 'Save Wesley'. It was funny.