Brian Stanfield

Skill-based magic

I've played with the idea in the past(in another system, but this is not so system specific) of gaining new spells either from finding those spells/being taught them by someone who knows them, and/or of researching through a skill spells one wishes to make.

They would still need to buy the spell when the time came.

This would be a campaign thing, not a rule per se. That way, there is a process for increasing in power for spell users. In that approach, I also worked in the idea that there was no general 'spell making' skill, but that it had to be bought in specific fields, be it 'dark magic creation', 'charms creation', 'protective spell creation', etc, so that spell casters, to become powerful in a broad range of things, would really have to either spend points on a wider range of skills as well, or alternatively roleplay amicable contacts with other spell users who would teach them their spells, or have influence/resources to obtain(through hook or crook) magic they themselves did not have the ability to create.

Edited by TheDarkness

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, massey said:

Is there much difference between a warrior buying "Deadly Strike" (or whatever it's called) to add +1D6 HKA to all swords, and a wizard buying "Fire Magic Expert" to add +1D6 RKA to all fire spells?

No difference.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, Brian Stanfield said:

Interesting. I like that as a possible talent to add to the list.

No need to add a talent - use the one that's there.

Burns Hot:  (Total: 16 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Deadly Blow:  +1d6 ([limited circumstances]: With fire spells that do damage) (Real Cost: 16)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out that "broad circumstances" could be "all damaging magic"