Any information about converting Gurps 4e to Hero 6e

scottie4442

I have run a game for years in Gurps, the latest is Gurps 4e.  I have issues with Gurps 4e recently and want to change to another Universal system and have been looking at Hero 6e for my game.  I was running an Infinite worlds type game and was wondering if there is any conversion documentation/sites out there to help convert over to Hero 6e.  I have been GMing for almost 40 years so picking up a new system is no big deal just trying to make my life easier. If no conversion info I probably will start from scratch, I do like the way Hero 6e handles magic and powers better than Gurps 4e. I have tried Savage Worlds, BRP, and a couple of others and they just do not fit exactly what I want to do. Thanks for any help.

I'm surprised you haven't heard from anyone yet. The forums are usually full of all sorts of suggestions.

As a player of both systems, my impression is that it would be virtually impossible to convert one system into the other. You'd have to have a mastery of each system and make anecdotal comparisons between systems. The skills, for example, are similar but not the same. Advancement in GURPS is linked to the difficulty of the skill, which doesn't have a correlation in HERO. The character points don't have equivalent values either, so you'd really have to just make an arbitrary judgment on how they may compare.

To start off with, you should read Champions Complete to get a base for the game. It is the current iteration of the 6e rules, and is a streamlined version of the 6e1 and 6e2 books. Your initial reaction that HERO handles powers (and magic) better is, I think, a correct one and so is worth the effort to learn. When you come up with questions, keep coming back to the forums because folks usually can't help but give lots of advice. The great thing about HERO is that you can get 5 solutions to the same problem, and none of them are wrong.

Good luck.

As I said I have played Gurps 4e for several years, been looking over Hero 6e and I think I can work with it.  I like the crunchy systems because I can have my players create any kind of character. Not a big deal if no answers just hoping someone had a short cut list to save me some time.

I think conversion is difficult, especially so when the systems have, on the surface, so many similarities.  It is easy for assumptions to be made that things equate when they do not really.  It is almost easier when the systems are widely divergent and then how certain things are done can be explained.

When it comes to characters, I think it is often better to take a character from the original system, strip out every mechanical reference that you can, leaving a highly descriptive version of the character and then apply the new system using that description.  It is likely to surprise you how doing that makes better use of the new system than looking to go direct from system to system.

Doc

On 4/18/2018 at 3:45 PM, scottie4442 said:

I have run a game for years in Gurps, the latest is Gurps 4e.  I have issues with Gurps 4e recently and want to change to another Universal system and have been looking at Hero 6e for my game.  I was running an Infinite worlds type game and was wondering if there is any conversion documentation/sites out there to help convert over to Hero 6e.  I have been GMing for almost 40 years so picking up a new system is no big deal just trying to make my life easier. If no conversion info I probably will start from scratch, I do like the way Hero 6e handles magic and powers better than Gurps 4e. I have tried Savage Worlds, BRP, and a couple of others and they just do not fit exactly what I want to do. Thanks for any help.

There was a conversion table in Fantasy HERO . 3rd edition  I think. It's a start