Avengers Infinity War with spoilers

Bazza

My opinion...

meh.

It was... too much. They did some things well, but as a movie it was too much like Age of Ultron, in that it was too much a comic book, not enough a good movie. Great moments, with a gutsy way to go at the end, but it ultimately failed at what the best Marvel movies do so well, make it personal and relatable. This cosmic stuff became pure sturm und drang and lacked real emotional impact.

They tried... certain things were well done (I love that they allowed Scarlet Witch to really kick ass, they did Corvus Glaive, Ebony Maw and Proxima Midnight really well. There were some good set-piece battles, and I really liked the chemistry between SW and Vision) But Cap's roll was barely there... same with Black Panther , Bucky, Black Widow. The Hulk deal was more head scratching than anything, and Ruffalo seemed to be phoning in his part. 

The GotG parts were too much, and too tonally off to really work. 

Red Skull appearance was well done, but ultimately all the "set piece to acquire a stone" was just not very suspenseful, nor was the big "sacrifice" emotionally resonant.

This was, IMO, one of the biggest "misses" in the Marvel line-up, because, like in the comics, when they build up to the "big thing" it never really pays off, and is more just "big happenings" rather than engaging and impacting developments. Nothing was a surprise, you could see it all coming, the inevitability of where the movie was going made all the set-pieces leading up to it kind of boring... like "just get on with it already."

They are going to have to really pull off a major job with Avengers 4 that is more than just "complex time travel undo" that generates some truly unexpected plot developments to make this work out.

I liked the expected call out to Captain Marvel at the end, so we'll see... but overall, I left head shaking and... well... "meh."

Seriously? No one else has seen it?

What kind of geeks are you??

Just had a long lunch with my wife, discussing the movie, and both of us are still very much not impressed. They are going to have to do something seriously amazing with Avengers 4 to make this work.

Ultimately, I think the biggest flaw is that they just expected you to bring your unabashed emotional engagement with the characters from the other movies, and failed in this one to make any of them particularly resonant (except Vision and Scarlet Witch, which again, I really liked).

You know, the Justice League beat their bad guy without hardly anyone derezzing.

Just saying.

;)

========

More seriously,  I liked it, but I think folks are going to be declaring it a 10 when it's  a bit lower than that. Some random thoughts

Standouts were Dr Strange and Spider-Man for me out of the heroes. The irony of Stephen and Tony not getting along because the former finds the latter arrogant was hilarious, because wall know it's more likely they just see something in the other that's a bit too close to home.

I was surprised Captain America didn't get a bit more focus but what he had worked fine. 

Some of it I saw coming, I mean, when the mind stone got 'destroyed' I was like hello Time Stone. And voila. Props to Marvel though, they used stuff they had shown in other movies so it worked. At no time did I get the idea they were pulling stuff out of their ass exactly. Yes, Stormbreaker MIGHT fit into that if you don't know the comics but hey. 

I still think the substitute shields cap got were ugly. 

The fact Rocket covets Bucky's arm tickles me greatly.

I think Brolin did an excellent job with what could have been a two dimensional villain. I had doubts, but he did just fine. Certainly by Marvel standards.

Doctor Strange has a long term plan, and it shows. I loved that.

And this movie probably had Scarlet Witch's best showing thus far.

Totally did not see Groot's severing his arm until two seconds before it happened. Way to go, kid. You're a twig off the old limb. (or is it your own limb)

I found the derezzing interesting in that, unless I miss my mark, Cap, Iron Man, Banner, Widow, and Thor all stuck around. If Hawkeye also didn't vanish then..the 'original' (For the movies) Avengers are all intact.

OKay, honestly the scene at the end of the credit was not worth the wait. I'm not a big Captain Marvel fan,  so that's part of it I suppose, but really, most of the audiance was like "meh" because she's just not known and rather than curiosity being piqued there was more shrugging and going on.

I should also note that we had some guys in front of us who laughed at...well, everything. Giant Peter DInkalage set them off into hysterics EVERY time he was on the screen. They laughed hard at everyone disintegrating. Honestly, it got to be annoying. So I do hope to see this again with a better crowd in a week or two and see if that helps

12 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Seriously? No one else has seen it?

What kind of geeks are you??

Just had a long lunch with my wife, discussing the movie, and both of us are still very much not impressed. They are going to have to do something seriously amazing with Avengers 4 to make this work.

Ultimately, I think the biggest flaw is that they just expected you to bring your unabashed emotional engagement with the characters from the other movies, and failed in this one to make any of them particularly resonant (except Vision and Scarlet Witch, which again, I really liked).

Saw it and liked it very much

22 hours ago, Cassandra said:

This is the Empire Strikes Back of the Marvel Movies.

This was my thought exactly.

I really enjoyed it.  I think it might be the closest thing yet to a Marvel comic come alive on the screen.  I'm probably too close to it yet to see the flaws, we just returned from the theater, but right now it's pretty close to my favorite comic book movie.  I was surprised by the characters they chose to 'kill' (because we know they'll be back somehow).  I tried to avoid spoilers and speculation these past few months but I still managed to hear people talk about how Stark and Cap would die, if for no other reason than they thought the actors were done with the franchise.  Well, they were wrong, which just reinforces my opinion of the incessant geek speculation that precedes each of these movies.

It is an epic event film.  If I didn't have a lot on my plate to prepare for surgery on Tuesday I'd go see it again.  And again.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:21 AM, RDU Neil said:

Red Skull appearance was well done, but ultimately all the "set piece to acquire a stone" was just not very suspenseful, nor was the big "sacrifice" emotionally resonant.

That cameo really surprised me.

16 hours ago, Hermit said:

The fact Rocket covets Bucky's arm tickles me greatly.

Also, he fixed the pirate-angel's eyepatch.

16 hours ago, Hermit said:

I should also note that we had some guys in front of us who laughed at...well, everything. Giant Peter DInkalage set them off into hysterics EVERY time he was on the screen.

That was brilliant casting.

A few theories of mine that didn't prove true:

• Ant-Man shrinking one of the stones into the microverse
  • Strange would make some deal with Dormammu to send Thanos into the Dark Dimension
  • If nothing else, send him into the Mirror Dimension or something, man, come on!
  • Peter Quill didn't "Ego up"

Some things that might pan out in the sequel:

• Ant-Man has been hiding inside one of the gems all along, and will grow to Giant-Man and crush it
  • Vision's new neural interface to the gem has embedded his essence in the Mind Gem, and he'll be able to exploit Thanos' remorse
  • Loki may have done something similar with the Tesseract
  • Dr. Strange might have set up another Save Point, to restore the Time Gem to his earlier self (he did, after all, see one way to win)
  • a Strange/Loki/Vision team-up might have only tricked Thanos into thinking the events after the Titan battle really happened
  • a dance-off between Thanos and Howard the Duck (with or without the Abundant Glove)
  • the unexpected appearance of Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool, to kick names and take ass

2 hours ago, Armory said:

This was my thought exactly.

I really enjoyed it.  I think it might be the closest thing yet to a Marvel comic come alive on the screen.  I'm probably too close to it yet to see the flaws, we just returned from the theater, but right now it's pretty close to my favorite comic book movie.  I was surprised by the characters they chose to 'kill' (because we know they'll be back somehow).  I tried to avoid spoilers and speculation these past few months but I still managed to hear people talk about how Stark and Cap would die, if for no other reason than they thought the actors were done with the franchise.  Well, they were wrong, which just reinforces my opinion of the incessant geek speculation that precedes each of these movies.

It is an epic event film.  If I didn't have a lot on my plate to prepare for surgery on Tuesday I'd go see it again.  And again.

Well, actual death predictions still can't be confirmed right now IMO as we're only halfway through the story. 

Also, as far as the Endgame - I understand there's still likely some master plan from Stark and Strange still in play, but I hope it is very different from the ending of Dr. Strange, ie. a completely time-based deus ex machina.