Avengers Infinity War with spoilers

Bazza

My first impressions from 5 days ago, about an hour after i created this thread, in a text message to a friend

---------------

Word to the wise. Training wheels are off, kid gloves are off; IW is realistic, serious and more mature in outlook. Quite somber. In other words, Marvel made a DC film in their signature style. Still a comic book movie, arguably the most feels like a comic book movie. 

And this really is the beginning of the end. Like the second last book before the final one. (Not including Ant-Man and the Wasp & Captain Marvel). 

It really has a feel that is a cycle, like the Trojan epic cycle (which is more than just Homer's two well known books). And Trojan war is a good metaphor for Infinity War, as there is multiple teams, eg TeamIM, TeamCA, TeamThor, who is lead by people similar to Agamemnon, Achilles, and Odysseus respectively. 

Tony is Agamemnon, the leader of TeamAvengers, Steve is Achilles the warrior, and Thor is Odysseus as he is the wanderer. 

Of course there are other 'teams' like the Guardians, & Strange that don't neatly fit the metaphor above, but where it works it works well. 

So that hopefully explains things without giving any spoilers.

I think there will be a soft reboot. Meaning: this cycle of films will come to an end, with some of the characters retiring, or dead, and some newer ones continuing. I also get the impression that the overarching interlocked story-arc structure (i.e. the Marvel Cinematic Universe) will unlikely be continued after Untitled Avengers aka Avengers 4 -- Marvel Studios will go in a different direction. 

Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige still have an additional 20 films planned after Avengers 4, so, the studio isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't think too many of them are from the Fox buyout. I can name about 6-8. 

There were some comments that the MCU will go more cosmic after Avengers 4, but I can't see the inter-connectivity ever going away because that is a key component of the company.

BY the time Avengers 4 comes out, they'll be able to announce about the FF and X-men plans that I am sure they have been making (despite the comments to the contrary)

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

Still too close to call yet, but Infinity War is neck-and-neck with The Force Awakens. 
http://deadline.com/2018/04/avengers-infinity-war-weekend-box-office-opening-records-1202378032/amp/

I didn't think that would be a problem, but will it have the sustainability of the Black Panther movie?

7 hours ago, Psybolt said:

There were some comments that the MCU will go more cosmic after Avengers 4, but I can't see the inter-connectivity ever going away because that is a key component of the company.

BY the time Avengers 4 comes out, they'll be able to announce about the FF and X-men plans that I am sure they have been making (despite the comments to the contrary)

Agree. 

Marvel is not having a Hall H presentation at SDCC this year, and will instead announce post-phase three plans next year either before or after Avengers 4. 

Marvel has planned on using this SDCC to celebrate MCU's 10th anniversary. 

9 hours ago, Starlord said:

I didn't think that would be a problem, but will it have the sustainability of the Black Panther movie?

We will find out. Also, it has been suggested that the film was bumped a week to give it more opportunity before the solo Star Wars film at the end of May. 

Having just seen it....I did enjoy it, but it's not a perfect 10. As I feared, the lack of backstory for Thanos(which they had all the time in the world to develop) hurt my investment in his character and the events in general. The "snap of the fingers"....which should have been a big moment...just sort of happens as an afterthought as Thanos ports away. It didn't feel like the epic "moment" it should have been(as it was in the comics). The heroes in general all came off fine, but it pains me to think that the henchmen of Thanos were arguably more interesting to see than Thanos himself(especially Ebony Maw). It was ambitious and still overall a fun watch, but it fell just a tad shy of being the "end all be all".

I think 10/10 is justified. For this type of movie it's about as close to perfect as you are likely to get. Personally I never liked these "cosmic" team ups in the comics and up until now have not enjoyed the film equivalent. This one, unusually, managed to deliver on the hype. 

Given the huge number of characters they can't all get backstory but what we get is quality. They do well taking Thanos beyond the pantomime. The scenes with Gamora and the flashback to his home world combined with the decision to drop the "courting Death" idea produce a villain that is at least an understandable psychopath! 

On the acting side my MVP Award goes to Chris Hemsworth. His scenes with Rocket were excellent. Not many actors could deliver the jokes while retaining the underlying sadness. Awesome. 

And lastly I don't usually seen movies on their opening weekend but I was glad I went early to avoid the inevitable spoliers that will come. Marvel managed to surprise me and it's rare that a movie does that. And if I had made bets on which characters lived and died I would have lost all my money! Black Panther and Spiderman? No way could they be in any danger.